The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

ETCP Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by porkchop, Apr 25, 2008.

1. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Another thread to prevent me from hijacking. Currently I would be amazed if I had enough points to get an ETCP Cert, but I'm starting to look at it because a future opportunity would give me tons of hours counting towards points and I'm not too terribly far from my degree. I did do a search and got some info (mostly off the ETCP website) but I still have questions. Namely what kind of work is countable towards points and what isn't, if I was a board-op or spot-op does that count, if I was in high school, but working for a professional company, if it was on a volunteer, educational, or salary basis and therefore there isn't a w-2 to prove my hours? Also my major is Computer Engineering, it's not a technical theatre degree, but I deal with high power and the "dangerous" parts of electricity just as much if not more in my degree program than at work. Is there a possibility of getting that counted an entertainment technology field?

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Best to address your questions directly to the ETCP Certification Coordinator.
    From http://etcp.esta.org/faq/faq.html
    How do I get more information?

All candidate information, including handbooks, eligibility requirements and applications, is available on the ETCP website (http://etcp.esta.org), or if you would like the information mailed to you, please contact Meredith Moseley-Bennett, ETCP Certification Coordinator, at 212-244-1505 or [email protected] .

3. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I searched the ETCP website pretty well I think, found the Employment History form (hidden overly well I think) and I currently have the handbook up on my other screen. These are the questions that came up after this. The original post was longer

4. express

express Active Member

Hey all!

Now, I know I'm only 16 and can't actually take any of the exams I'll I'm at least 21. But my question hinges on the point system. Currently, I work for a production company in the area. I do lots of actual lighting work (hanging, cabling, patching, programming...) and my question is if I can take these experiences and hours and count then towards the 30 needed points? Or do you have to be a certain age to start accumulation points?

Thanks!

5. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

I suspect you don't have to be 21 to start accumulating eligibility points, but as always, Meredith Moseley-Bennett, ETCP Certification Manager, [email protected] will have the correct and definitive answer.