Ethernet / Leviton help

Sayen

Quick background - I understand DMX 512, I understand moving lights, I mostly understand the Leviton Innovator, I sort of understand computer networking, I am a moron when it comes to lighting networking.

After a recent disaster my theater lost all lighting, and the problem was supposedly traced to a failed network protocol converter, and the damaged device was replaced. Prior to the disaster I was using a Leviton Innovator, running:

conventional lights through Port A, Universe 1, and
moving fixtures through Port C, Universe 3.

Everything worked fine. Now, after the supposed replacement of the NPC, controlling moving lights only affects conventional circuits, and nothing seems to talk to the moving fixtures. Pathport nodes power up normally.

The network is Leviton's ColorNet, and is handled through Pathport nodes. Currently I cannot connect my booth computer to the network either to check configuration, and the computer is only used for that purpose. I cannot get it to talk to the network.

I'm assuming something somewhere is crossed wired or not plugged in, but I lack the networking experience to identify this. Help?

Calling Leviton results in being told the problem is with Pathport, and to call Pathway Connectivity. The folks at Pathway are very friendly, but in addition to being an expensive international phone call, they don't know our installation well enough to help and sent me back towards Leviton. Calling the people above me in charge of repairs results in about a six month turnaround, which is not so helpful, and they think DMX is a music group.

Is there at least a guide somewhere on lighting networks? I'm learning this as I go.

I'm beating my head against the wall, I've spent most of my week experimenting and coming up empty.

Well, chances are the issue is that the node is not configured to output universe 3 on port C. Now, I don't know how to configure Leviton nodes, so I doubt that I can be much help there. You say that your computer can't log into the network. Have you checked the IP settings on the computer? That is where I would start anyway. After that, since I have no idea how the software works, I can't really help.

The computer used to connect fine, and is literally only used for talking to the lighting network. IP checks out from the notes I took during install.

I would personally try and do a Soft Reset on the Pathway node. Reset all the configuration details to the defaults and then reprogram your Node configuration from scratch. I think if you haven't touched anything on the board or the PC then it is unlikely there is anything wrong with them. If that doesn't work then try a Hard Reset. The manual should tell you how to do this. This however does sound to me like something is crosswired somewhere ether in the node or the board configuration. Did you check all the board settings? Just doublecheck that the board is configured to output all the Moving Light info on Universe 3. It could be that when they were diagnosing and fixing the problem they messed with the configuration in the board.

Just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back