EV m100 Entertainer mixer... bang...hiss...smoke

Ravenbar

Sound really isn't my thing. Mostly doing lighting occasionally these days. Day job is at a recycling plant.

Found a EV m100 mixer in the e-waste at work, super dirty. Brought it home figuring I'd clean it up and find a use for it or something. Step 1 was to see if it actually worked. Plugged in a mic and hooked up a cheap CB radio speaker I had handy. Couldn't get any sound out of the board at all. AS I'm not a sound guy, I kept fiddling, hoping I could get it to work. Heard a pop and a hiss, then some smoke from came out of the EQ section on the board. Board stayed on. Opened it up and didn't see any obvious damage, Didn't dig too deep and a lot of stuff seems compartmentalized.

Trying to decide if I'm going to dig deeper and maybe fix it(sound it made reminded me of a capacitor blowing.), or if I'm going to strip it for parts and send it back.

Going for 175 on eBay right now. - how much is your time worth? - as a discarded item, it is possible there are multiple issues. As simple as they could be (or not), it is still time spent on a cheap mixer. Could be a fun project though.

When I was using an EV mixer, I always hoped it would explode, so I could get a different one... sucker still works, but I did upgrade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back