Ev Monitors

I am a technician in a theatre who doesn't use their monitors for their intended purpose. Instead they sit in the storage closet collecting dust. The other day my teacher brought up an idea of using the monitors as surround speakers placed at the back of the house. I already have the location picked out but how would i go about hanging or mounting them safely. If your wondering the brand and model they are EV Eliminator monitors, not more than one year old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

you need to be careful using surround sound in a large theater type venue. If you are looking for the ability to have sounds originate from the rear that is one thing, but if you want surround like in the movies, you need to have many more side speakers, or else the "sweet spot" is only a row or so and typically does not work properly. Home surround is designed to make your small room seem large, and have a quite small sweet spot, surround in larger venues is quite different

Sharyn

you need to be careful using surround sound in a large theater type venue. If you are looking for the ability to have sounds originate from the rear that is one thing, but if you want surround like in the movies, you need to have many more side speakers, or else the "sweet spot" is only a row or so and typically does not work properly. Home surround is designed to make your small room seem large, and have a quite small sweet spot, surround in larger venues is quite different
Sharyn
This is no large theatre. I should have been more clear, its mainly for sound effects. Its not intended for music or movies.

They probably could be used for EFX. Of course, the questions are then where are you getting the signal to send them, what powers them, how do you get cabling to them and how are you mounting them?

In looking at locations, consider how the location might affect the effect. If they would provide much higher levels at the rear of the room then at the front, then that will result in an effect that varies over the audience.

Rigging (hanging speakers) is best left to a professional. If something breaks there is a huge amount of liability involved especially if someone gets hurt as a result of gravity. Are those boxes even fly rated? Chains or aircraft cable thru the handles or eye bolts that are not factory installed are not sufficient for flying boxes. Please use caution.

Rigging (hanging speakers) is best left to a professional. If something breaks there is a huge amount of liability involved especially if someone gets hurt as a result of gravity. Are those boxes even fly rated?
Absolutely do not fly those boxes.
Period.
End of story!!

2) not that simple, you need to know where you can cut and not hit anything or alter the box so much that response is affected.

they make adapters that just screw onto the bottom, i doubt 6 screws will affect the response... http://www.fullcompass.com/product/303675.html

are you trying to use these all the time as mains, or just like a matrix for effects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back