Ever put a baggy in a followspot?

Couldn't say as to texture as I don't pay that much attention as it basically does what we need, for this spot at the throw (120ft.).

SB

3Kw Xenon Lycian 1293 at 120'? Do you ever even open the douser fully? I'm guessing that would be about 200 F.C.

I've decided that the throw distance at which we're using the 2K Super Troupers is the problem. Our longest throw is about 225'. I'd like to get four 1293s, but we're getting new video projectors this year instead.

3Kw Xenon Lycian 1293 at 120'? Do you ever even open the douser fully? I'm guessing that would be about 200 F.C.
I've decided that the throw distance at which we're using the 2K Super Troupers is the problem. Our longest throw is about 225'. I'd like to get four 1293s, but we're getting new video projectors this year instead.

Believe it or not, the intensity is perfect. The 1293's replaced carbon Supers and I was worried about too bright, but rarely use any nuetral density. My thought was easier to make dim, then find out you need brighter.

I've got 3 'Mo Divas this spring and have to locate a rental 3kw for the 3rd front light, or go out and buy a lot of ND.

SB

Believe it or not, the intensity is perfect. The 1293's replaced carbon Supers and I was worried about too bright, but rarely use any nuetral density. My thought was easier to make dim, then find out you need brighter.
SB
Amen to that, brother. Rarely if ever have I seen a followspot tooo bright. When my Supers were purchased with the building in 1993, they were competing with 1k PARcans. Now that they're competing with 1200w Moving Lights, they're barely adequate. Two Gladiator3s will not fit in my south baskets, so I'm wanting the 1293s. Then they may never have to move again. Our 10 Super Troupers are like yo-yo's, from the catwalk to the concourse and back. Hey it gives the riggers something to do.

Do you have any specific dislikes about the Lycian 1293? We had 5 on the bridge for an awards show, and at least one had its internal heat sheild missing. That led to a burned iris and color. In another light, we had a lamp die, but not explode, just lost pressure, during a rehearsal. But these were rental fixtures, and I'll take better care of my own.

Thanks for your help,
Derek

Last edited:
Hey I was just poking around Gam's website and noticed "Gamfusion 10-10" they say it's "hardly perceptible" and lightly softens the edge. They mention using 10-10 and 10-20 (slightly more diffusion) for use in follow spots.

Have you tried it?

I've hopefully gotten the baggy thing out of my system for good (now that sounded odd!) and want to try the Roscolux I didn't know about, X140 Subtle Hampshire Frost, and GAM10-30.

The GamColor book also says "GamFusion 10-30 Ideal for use in follow spots, to soften the hard edges of the spotlight."

I've tried GAM10-10, in both Super Troupers and Source4s, and it didn't do anything that I could perceive. YMMV.

We never buy color, we just keep what productions leave behind--my favorite Production Master Electricians are the ones who give me all their expendables at the end of a show. "Why send it back to the shop so they can resell it?" So I'll try to beg/borrow/steal some G10-20, G10-30, G10-40, and R140, from another department on campus. When I do, I'll post the results.

FWIW, I just learned that an UN-NAMED Broadway show here in LV uses R132 in their Lycian 1290XLTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back