Explain this picture, please.

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Ex-NBA star Tyson Chandler and his wife, Kimberly Chandler...at Coachella in 2016.

93655970_148144096721604_1162215844901192280_n.jpg

93969152_248175372969227_6823323348057046073_n.jpg

Somebody has a thing against neutrals?

"Separately derived service."

If that's the input and it's delta, what is the N there for? If that's the output (120-208 3 phase), that N better be tied to something, somewhere. Building steel, maybe? (Oh, well, what the H. Yeah, it should be, but just let it float)

Reactions: ndp
You can float delta inlet IF the case has strong grounding. This is SOP for commercial 480:120 step-down transformers. These might be that flavor, the convention center here has two 300kVA transformers as the place was built with 480V shore power. No neutral is needed for them.

This is a standard cat power 3 phase 480-> 208/120 step down transformer from the generators.
Input is ground and 3 phases.
Neutral is derived from a center tap coil within the transformer, and is bonded to ground (iirc)
(Separately derived system)
The only problem in the pic is the fact they are using the white color coded camloc for ground.
Cat, Agreko, Saunders, and SES power all use this set up for generator step down transformers.

The only problem in the pic is the fact they are using the white color coded camloc for ground.
And there-in lies the rub.

Cat, Agreko, Saunders, and SES power all use this set up for generator step down transformers.
And at least one of those companies uses all black Cam-Lok s. They think phase tape is cheap.
Also if carrying 480V, shouldn't the Cam-Lok s be Orange, Brown, and Yellow?
I admit I have been doing this since before camloks and have never seen those colors in the wild.

Also if carrying 480V, shouldn't the Cam-Lok s be Orange, Brown, and Yellow?
I admit I have been doing this since before camloks and have never seen those colors in the wild.
The National Electric Code (NEC) specifies that the colors green and white/grey must be used for ‘equipment grounding conductor’ and ‘neutral (grounded)’ respectively, as stated in NEC articles 250.119 and 200.6. These are the only two colors that the NEC specifies for general power distribution
The black/red/blue vs brown/orange/yellow are conventions but not requirements.
(Unless it has changed very recently)

Additionally, 250.119 (A) (3) allows "Marking the exposed insulation with green tape or
green adhesive labels"

So I believe they could green tape the white cams and would be compliant

So I believe they could green tape the white cams and would be compliant
I agree. But had they done that, I wouldn't have asked the question.
I do enjoy that the transformer has both M & F green Cam-Loks. I don't think they do that when neutrals are used though.

I agree. But had they done that, I wouldn't have asked the question.
I do enjoy that the transformer has both M & F green Cam-Loks. I don't think they do that when neutrals are used though.
Possibly to accommodate users who stock reversed sex neutrals and grounds (which is common up here north of lil' Donnie's walls).
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Then there's the nutty places that use Brown, Purple, Yellow for 480Y277. (So the Orange isn't thought to be a wild-leg B phase running 208V to ground).

Possibly they 3D Print their own? I've heard their green and yellow polka dot isolated grounds have to be seen to be believed.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I was thinking building wiring. I'd guess they'd just use BOY for cams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back