'explode' on demand vase & statue

Special effects for live theatre?
I need a vase & then a statue to 'explode' on demand as if they were hit by a bullet.

Obviously we can't use explosives in front of a live audience in an 80 year old wooden theatre.

I am thinking of a solenoid actuator like something out of a pinball machine mounted inside a 'fragile' prop that will shatter/break at the press of a button.

Anybody got any good ideas?

I have the electronics know how, I just need to find the right solenoid actuator device.

If you were here in the States I'd say go to Grainger or McMaster and Carr. I know there is an Austrailian Equivalent though. Solenoids are not expensive and relativley easy to implement. One thing you might consider is using the " Old Mouse trap" trick. Screw or staple a wire mouse trap or rat trap to a piece of wood. remove the arm and the little trigger plate. replace the arm with the plunger from a solenoid. When solenoid is activated the arm of the trap is released and smacko ! hits the side of the vase. Using green-ware will help a lot too as it breaks better, and it's easier to clean up. Hope that helps.

Perhaps pneumatics is an option for you. Solenoid valves can be easily remote controlled. If you need something to physically impact the object, a spring return cylinder would sent a rod or similar several inches and retract in an instant. The rod could be small diameter and retract into a wall or piece of furniture invisibly. Other options might be a cavity or covered over hole in the object filled with talc or corn starch. line up an air passage in the object with an air hole in the base or the piece of furniture and a sudden burst of air "explodes" the talc and any small bits you've added in for effect, just before the cylinder smacks it down. McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
Just thoughts.

I've picked up a set of 4 central door lock activators for $50AUD, I'll have a play with them.
I have ordered an 8 channel DMX relay board worth $120AUD so I can control it all from my lighting desk.
I like the idea of including a bit of talc for a more visible 'explosion'.

We made an exploding vase for Annie. We cast it in a heavy impact resistant resin. We cut it up into all the broken pieces and then reassembled it using velcro tabs on the inside, just enough to hold it together. Hit the right seam on the bottom and the whole thing would fall apart like a house of cards. Took some practice but we got it to work very reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back