Exploding Tape in a Tape Recorder

oneeyedpug

Hello I have just been asked to create a exploding tape in a tape recorder to mimic the old mission impossible I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to achieve this?

If memory serves, the tape in Mission Impossible didn't actually explode. It sort of burned up. Try smoke in a can with a flexible hose nozzle extension. Hide the can in the tape machine.

Yeah I don't remember it exploding either. But anything that has a bit of 'bounce' a rubberband a roll of tickets wound tight then really just hinge the cassette so that when it opens stuff shoots out that's being held in by the reels of the cassette. All streamer poppers would give another desired effect just build them into the reels too.

As I remember the opening it was " this tape will self destruct in 10 seconds". So I would second Sk8rsdad solution

Hello I have just been asked to create a exploding tape in a tape recorder to mimic the old mission impossible I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to achieve this?
If you feel the need for something more dramatic and visible, maybe you can incorporate a small confetti cannon into the tape player.

Except for a very few, "Please dispose of this tape in the usual manner," the tape always self destructed in five seconds. I watched closely every week to figure out what the trigger or mechanism was. Was there a sensor or switch that sensed the end of the tape? Was it Jim Phelps turning the tape recorder off? It almost drove me up the wall. Years later, I found out that special effects expert Jonnie Burke pumped smoke into the tape recorder through a rubber tube...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back