Explosions Effects The Addam's Family

Hello, I work with a rather small high school and we are trying to make a big effects on a small budget. One of which being the explosion in the very beginning of the show when Pugsly sets off dynamite. If anyone has any inexpensive ways to make this and any other cool effects from the show happen please let me know.

Hello, I volunteer at a small high school theatre on a smaller budget. We are doing The Addam's Family and hoping to do BIG effects on with minimal cost. We have some pretty tech savey people if they are given instructions. We are looking for any of the effects but most specifically the exploding dynamite in the very beginning of the show. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be appreciated.

In a high school setting I wouldn't recommend anything other than a sound effect and a quick flash of the lights.

I agree with @TheaterEd, but I'm thinking if I remember correctly he detonates it with one of those old plunger devices? The thought I had was to build it in such a way that the plunger compresses a piston in a cylinder that forces air out a tube (or tubes) and then fill the end of the tubes with confetti and talcum powder? Never tried this, the airborne talc could present a respiratory hazard as well, but just the first thing that came to mind.

I have used confetti canons as an alternative to explosions in the past. Only problem with them is the confetti lingers for the rest of the act. C02 extinguishers add lights and sound? Just get some spares, don't use the ones from the building.

Yea, air is your best friend on this one. Try having someone stomp on a Mylar balloon backstage. They tend to pop at a slightly higher pressure than latex. Try several different out-of-site locations to obtain the best sound.

We just did Addams and that effect goes by so incredibly fast, especially because it's in the song. Our Pugsley barely had time to push the plunger. I have often used liquid CO2 for explosion effects though.

No pyro of any kind allowed in our theatre, for the lightening strikes I used lighting effects. At the end when Fester flies we built a rocket that Pugsley pulled down some streamer type things out of a water bottle attached to Fester's back, he ran off stage and we had a tiny fester on a string pulled across the house and a confetti cannon that fired when he hit the moon. (Last scene, no problem with it hanging around.) I can probably link you to our pictures of the show if you want.

if you have a rental company u can use then request a Chauvet geyser rgb. if you don't have like any money then i suggest you get a light set up where you want the effect to take place then get a stage hand to stand by it and when the cue comes have them use a CO2 fire extinguisher and burst next to the light it will give a good fire looking effect for almost nothing just be careful of people on the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back