Control/Dimming Express 48/96 is non communicado

Doubtful. The Express is a simple console, and to muck it up that bad you'd probably have to do something deliberately.

I had a rep out a couple weeks ago though and he was telling me how it's not unusual for the internal card for a DMX port to fry, especially after a lightning strike. If that happens, you can easily switch from signaling to your dimmers on Universe 1 to Universe 2, and just change the addressing. He said he's seen that happen on quite a few occasions, and it's a pretty simple fix, removing an old card and replacing it. If you weren't told that sort of service was done though, then I doubt it was the problem, but it's still an interesting tidbit of info.

The board was sent in, and the firmware was replaced or reset (I don't know if they reinstalled it or just did a hard reset). We haven't had any problems with it again, but I plan on checking the power connector and box when I get back to school/the booth.
Thanks!
My other question is could the board op have done anything to trigger this?

I'm hoping you also sent the power supply in at the same time?
For the sake of being paranoid, it would be good to do some wiggling of wires to double check everything. Turn the console on and try wiggling everything from the low voltage side of the power supply to where it connects to the back of the console. If you can get it to reset with anything less than yanking the connector out of its socket, you may have a problem. Also, look at the connector itself to make sure all eight pins are present (unless it's the five-pin style). Banging on the desk your board sits on, or tapping on the power supply itself are also good ways to reassure yourself that it's not going to break during your next show.

This sort of problem is more likely to happen when you move the board around a lot and things get plugged/unplugged often. It's probably not something any one person did.

Actually the easier method to factory reset the expression series is to hold down the 7, 8, and 9 keys on the number key pad all at the same time and keep on holding them as you turn on the board (process takes about 30 seconds) and it will reset factory settings.

Something that should be done at least once, best early in the production process, each and every show is to "deep clear" the board and reload the show from [whatever non-volatile storage system is applicable]. This helps to verify that the board is recording properly. The HogII is notorious for requiring a "blue button reset" at the start of every programming day (sometimes more frequently). With a rental console, I'll usually do this as soon as the patch is entered and saved, (in at least two different places/means!).

Not before each performance, but perhaps during the first day of programming, or as I said, after the patch has been entered. You don't want to have to recreate too much lost programming. This is less important for a desk that is used all the time and well maintained, such as in a permanent install; than for a rental or other "of unknown history" console. Deep clearing should not cause any issues, and if a desk isn't saving properly I want to know that as early as possible. I'd never do it the day of a performance, unless forced by the console. Perhaps I'm paranoid due to experiences with early memory systems, or the Hog3.;)

I'm hoping you also sent the power supply in at the same time?
For the sake of being paranoid, it would be good to do some wiggling of wires to double check everything. Turn the console on and try wiggling everything from the low voltage side of the power supply to where it connects to the back of the console. If you can get it to reset with anything less than yanking the connector out of its socket, you may have a problem. Also, look at the connector itself to make sure all eight pins are present (unless it's the five-pin style). Banging on the desk your board sits on, or tapping on the power supply itself are also good ways to reassure yourself that it's not going to break during your next show.
I'll do this, and 789 next time I get a chance to muck with that board. Thank you all!

Doubtful. The Express is a simple console, and to muck it up that bad you'd probably have to do something deliberately.
That's what I thought, but I was just being paranoid.

Actually the easier method to factory reset the expression series is to hold down the 7, 8, and 9 keys on the number key pad all at the same time and keep on holding them as you turn on the board (process takes about 30 seconds) and it will reset factory settings.
This would clear macros, as it's a factory reset?

you are correct. I strongly suggest (no... not suggest) to back up (really do back up) everything before you do this (just the basic patch and your basic subs/groups).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back