Express 96

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Anyone know any way to get a show off a Express 48/96 with a dead disk drive and a printer port that doesn't work?

replace the disk drive.

What makes you think the disk drive is bad and the printer port doesn't work?

Sounds like a really banged up console.....

I would look at replacing the drive, they are just standard floppy drive available from anywhere or any old PC laying around.

Not via midi, but you could probably sync two consoles over ETCNet. The Express supports Net1

Nope

I don't believe that either of these can be done. Midi just allows you to fire cues. Net just allows you to put out DMX. The Express does not have a DMX In to allow for any recording of any external DMX source.

You are going to have to replace the drive....

replace the disk drive.
What makes you think the disk drive is bad and the printer port doesn't work?
Sounds like a really banged up console.....

The disk drive is definetly bad...working fine one minute...not recognizing disks an hour later...whether it was the same one or a new one...gave me the old "There is no disk in the drive" message....

Printer port is a different story...the printer may have been bad but I had to leave before the problem was completly rectified....hopefully today they're trying another printer

What about an Expression 3? Does it have a DMX capture?

The disk drive is definetly bad...working fine one minute...not recognizing disks an hour later...whether it was the same one or a new one...gave me the old "There is no disk in the drive" message....
Printer port is a different story...the printer may have been bad but I had to leave before the problem was completly rectified....hopefully today they're trying another printer
What about an Expression 3? Does it have a DMX capture?

Yep. You could go dmx out and then into an expression 3. If the channel count is set up the same on the expression 3, you can save it and bring it back down into the express. Actually I don't think you even have to have the channel count the same....

Have you done a deep clear on the desk?

Yep. You could go dmx out and then into an expression 3. If the channel count is set up the same on the expression 3, you can save it and bring it back down into the express. Actually I don't think you even have to have the channel count the same....
Have you done a deep clear on the desk?

Nope...namely because I didn't want to lose the changes I'd made...If I get the opportunity I will...

Yeah - I thought about that - right after I posted.....

Remember that you need a printer that does not need drivers in order to use the printer port on the back of the board....

Let me know if you need any more help...

Jeff

Anyone know any way to get a show off a Express 48/96 with a dead disk drive and a printer port that doesn't work?

I dunno'. Maybe this is a long shot, but have you thought about calling ETC Tech Support for some help ?.

Just a random thought

SB

I dunno'. Maybe this is a long shot, but have you thought about calling ETC Tech Support for some help ?.
Just a random thought
SB

na... they never help anyone....

of course call them! they are some of the best in the business when it comes to support.

one long shot, if you tip up the desk at different angles the disc drive may work long enough to retrieve your data, its often a bearing problem, then change the drive.

Because I always go for the obvious things people seem to forget, are you sure you're using the right kind of disk? A double sided, high density floppy? If not, that's what you need. If you are, well pffff......you'll probably need a new drive. And by probably I mean you will. Though I like the idea of tipping the console around to try to get it to work...haha.

one long shot, if you tip up the desk at different angles the disc drive may work long enough to retrieve your data, its often a bearing problem, then change the drive.

Though I don't support this philosophy, it's highly possible that it'd work. I once got my hard drive to boot by dropping my laptop six inches on to a hard table. Did that twice, works like a charm. But I don't support it if it's not your personal gear that you're putting at risk.

Call ETC tech support, they'd be more than happy to help. Really. They won't bite. I promise.

Don't knock if you ain't tried it.

Just a random thought
SB

Been there done that. They said exactly what I've told you all...disk drive needs to be fixed.

Because I always go for the obvious things people seem to forget, are you sure you're using the right kind of disk? A double sided, high density floppy? If not, that's what you need. If you are, well pffff......you'll probably need a new drive. And by probably I mean you will. Though I like the idea of tipping the console around to try to get it to work...haha.

Because I'm easily offendable (;)) earlier in the thread I mentioned that the drive was working fine, and that the same disk I'd saved on an hour before no longer worked.

But yes of course its double sided high density...

In the olden days we used to have ditto masters with channel numbers across the top and little boxes underneath where we'd write "0, 01, ... 50 ... FF." It was my job to read the screen and write in the little boxes, only in pencil! I found that making the blank match the screen (20 across, 25 across, whatever) made it easier for everyone.

Today, I'd suggest starting an empty show in ExpressionOffLine, http://www.etcconnect.com/downloads.asp and start entering numbers. It goes fairly quickly if one person reads while one person types. (My favorite lighting game used to be to have someone read the softpatch from the Dimmer Schedule to me as I typed, and see how fast we could do it, accurately. I know, get a life!) But first, make sure your PC has a working floppy drive. At least then you'll only have to deal with the data once.

Not what you wanted to hear, I suspect.

Though I don't support this philosophy, it's highly possible that it'd work. I once got my hard drive to boot by dropping my laptop six inches on to a hard table. Did that twice, works like a charm. But I don't support it if it's not your personal gear that you're putting at risk.

Around here what you're describing is referred to as "impact maintenance." Often the neckdowns will do it for us without being asked, and whether the item in question needs it or not. "Preventative impact maintenance," I suppose. I like that, I'm going to use it the next time I fall victim to a "gravity storm." I usually say "heads up" out of habit when I drop a colorframe while standing on the floor. My brain can't process fast enough to say "feet up," and that sounds ridiculous anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back