Express channels, DMX, and strobes

Massey28694

Hey all! Couple questions from a relative newbie. ETC Express Board. I can only add channels up to 125, so guess that means I have the Express 125(?). Does that mean I am limited to 125 dmx addresses, less my 48 dimmers? If that’s the case, does that also mean I do not have access to the second universe port? (Getting a new Element 2 soon, so not a big deal, just like to know).

Related, I have some Diversitronic dk2000 dmx strobes with 3 channels. Can I just assign say channel 80, patch it to 80, add or build a profile, and be able to run it? Once connected to the channel, what keys on the board would control intensity and speed?

As always, really appreciate the help!

Hey all! Couple questions from a relative newbie. ETC Express Board. I can only add channels up to 125, so guess that means I have the Express 125(?). Does that mean I am limited to 125 dmx addresses, less my 48 dimmers? If that’s the case, does that also mean I do not have access to the second universe port? (Getting a new Element 2 soon, so not a big deal, just like to know).

Related, I have some Diversitronic dk2000 dmx strobes with 3 channels. Can I just assign say channel 80, patch it to 80, add or build a profile, and be able to run it? Once connected to the channel, what keys on the board would control intensity and speed?

As always, really appreciate the help!
@Massey28694 While you're waiting for a younger / more knowledgeable poster to reply, I'll speculate (The Express is decades ago in my past).
You can most likely patch any quantity of DMX addresses to any one channel IF you don't mind giving up the ability to control each device independently: For example; if you had two red Fresnels you wanted to always operate together, you could likely 2/4 them together and power them both from one dimmer, assuming their combined load DOES NOT exceed the rating of your dimmer(s).
If you had four red Fresnels you wanted to always operate together, you could 2/4 two together on each of two dimmers then soft-patch those two dimmers to one DMX address: Thus one control channel would simultaneously control all four Fresnels: Got the idea?
In the same fashion, you can patch any number of DMX controlled LED floods, spots, profiles or STROBES, etcetera, to a common control address as long as you'll NEVER need to control any aspect of any individual device independently. Does this help?? Is the concept making sense???
In the console's set-up and soft-patch menus, you can most likely soft-patch any device on either universe port to any of your console's control channels.
Post back with any further questions.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ron, one minute I’ll think I comprehend the relationships between channels and dmx addresses, then the next minute I’m scratching my head. But I think I get your examples and plan to put them to use. But one thing that I can’t seem to grasp is how to access that second universe? I have seen other discussions in here where folks are wanting to do the same thing I’m doing, add dmx instruments. And the consensus seems to be to assign dmx addresses starting with 1 on the second universe. I can’t seem to get that to work on my console. Say I want to patch channel 80 to the U2 001. When I hit patch, the screen asks for dimmer number. Would I put 513, then channel 80 and this would work? And if I connect U2 to my fixture and call up channel 80, it will respond?

Appreciate your wisdom sir! I believe we may be from the same generation and it’s not as easy getting this stuff as the kids can do it nowadays!

Ron, one minute I’ll think I comprehend the relationships between channels and dmx addresses, then the next minute I’m scratching my head. But I think I get your examples and plan to put them to use. But one thing that I can’t seem to grasp is how to access that second universe? I have seen other discussions in here where folks are wanting to do the same thing I’m doing, add dmx instruments. And the consensus seems to be to assign dmx addresses starting with 1 on the second universe. I can’t seem to get that to work on my console. Say I want to patch channel 80 to the U2 001. When I hit patch, the screen asks for dimmer number. Would I put 513, then channel 80 and this would work? And if I connect U2 to my fixture and call up channel 80, it will respond?

Appreciate your wisdom sir! I believe we may be from the same generation and it’s not as easy getting this stuff as the kids can do it nowadays!
@Massey28694
a
; I clicked on your profile "kid" and thanks for coming back for more.
b; Express is a long time ago for me: That said; some where in set-up you're offered a choice between having the two outputs behave as two universes
OR having the two outputs serve as two, individually driven, outputs of either universe as if they were two individually driven outputs of a 1 in / 2 out optically isolated DMX splitter. Once you've selected how you want the two outputs to behave, then the soft-patch screen should allow you to patch any of the 512 or 1024 device addresses to be controlled by any of your board channels. Perhaps @SteveB can answer your queries in more detail.
Again, thank you for coming back; so many posters ask a question then disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again.
Some of our thicker skinned posters shrug and press on having learned that's the way of our modern world. From my near blind perspective, I'll admit to being annoyed / ticked off / feeling like a used fool every time I invest an hour or more into posting to a new member only to learn they're one more 'one visit wonder', without learning if they ever bothered to read any posts attempting to answer their query.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The addresses for Univ. 2 would be 513 and up. So Ch80 @ 513.

The 2nd port was default set to universe 2, starting at 513. It could be changed in setup (if memory serves) to make port 2 also output on universe 1 in the event you needed a 2nd port for U1.

You will like the Element. It’s a scaled down Eos system and thinks as 1/1 for U1, address 1. Or 5/201 for Universe 5, address 201. You can also configure a ton of stuff in the Nomad offline editor, including pre-configuring your patch. As note though, the Expression/Insight/Express line also had an offline editor that ran in a WinXP system that allowed pre-cuing, patch configuring. You need a 3.5” drive and discs though....

@Massey28694
a
; I clicked on your profile "kid" and thanks for coming back for more.
b; Express is a long time ago for me: That said; some where in set-up you're offered a choice between having the two outputs behave as two universes
OR having the two outputs serve as two, individually driven, outputs of either universe as if they were two individually driven outputs of a 1 in / 2 out optically isolated DMX splitter. Once you've selected how you want the two outputs to behave, then the soft-patch screen should allow you to patch any of the 512 or 1024 device addresses to be controlled by any of your board channels. Perhaps @SteveB can answer your queries in more detail.
Again, thank you for coming back; so many posters ask a question then disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again.
Some of our thicker skinned posters shrug and press on having learned that's the way of our modern world. From my near blind perspective, I'll admit to being annoyed / ticked off / feeling like a used fool every time I invest an hour or more into posting to a new member only to learn they're one more 'one visit wonder', without learning if they ever bothered to read any posts attempting to answer their query.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Kid, eh? LOL Age brings wisdom, so I'm glad you're on here Ron! I retired a couple years ago and never in my wildest dreams would have imagined that I would be involved in stage lighting. We are in a very small mountain town, but have a vibrant arts community and a strong little theater group. Our local civic center is under our control through a longterm lease and has suffered from a general lack of maintainance and upgrades. I've been pushing hard to bring us into the 21st century and have demonstrated enough successful projects to the powers that be that they granted me funding for lighting upgrades. Thus I have been immersed in learning the tricks of the trade. Lots of work, but I'm having a ball!! And when it comes to our lighting system, you guys here in ControlBooth are invaluable. Where else could I go on a Sunday afternoon to find a lighting tech to help my cause? And you guys respond in minutes, not days!! I think you can see I am a big fan and again, appreciate all yall do, especially for us newcomers. See ya around the boards sir!!

The addresses for Univ. 2 would be 513 and up. So Ch80 @ 513.

The 2nd port was default set to universe 2, starting at 513. It could be changed in setup (if memory serves) to make port 2 also output on universe 1 in the event you needed a 2nd port for U1.

You will like the Element. It’s a scaled down Eos system and thinks as 1/1 for U1, address 1. Or 5/201 for Universe 5, address 201. You can also configure a ton of stuff in the Nomad offline editor, including pre-configuring your patch. As note though, the Expression/Insight/Express line also had an offline editor that ran in a WinXP system that allowed pre-cuing, patch configuring. You need a 3.5” drive and discs though....
Thanks, SteveB. I'm just playing and experimenting with the Express until we can get our new Element in place and know the knowledge I'm gaining now (especially with DMX) will serve me well in working the Element. I plan to hook up my strobes in the morning on 513 and see if they come alive. Will let you know how I make out. Have a great evening...

Thanks, SteveB. I'm just playing and experimenting with the Express until we can get our new Element in place and know the knowledge I'm gaining now (especially with DMX) will serve me well in working the Element. I plan to hook up my strobes in the morning on 513 and see if they come alive. I will let you know how I make out. Have a great evening...
@Massey28694 If you're posting on the Control Booth forum and want to attract attention faster, I'll suggest two (and a half) options:
1; Typing @ before a member's pseudonym should automatically alert them of your post the next time they log in.
2; Assuming they have an e-mail address and their Control Booth account set to request "Notification by e-mail", click on their name or image and a window should pop up containing their profile INCLUDING the option to "Start a converastion". If /when you click on "Start a conversation" you'll be able to type your message, then scroll down and choose between two more options: "Allow others to join this conversation" OR "Lock this conversation." After typing your message AND selecting a privacy choice, click on "Send this Conversation" (or whatever that button's labelled.) and your message is on it's way. I've been told by DVS Dave himself, even he can't read or reply to locked conversations; considering the Control Booth Forum is Dave's site, I have no trouble believing him.
2.5; The Control Booth forum has members running the gamut from total newb's to folks long retired from Cirque, Disney and similar as well as manufacturers and their sales and technical support departments. If / when you're hoping for attention, even in the middle of a three day holiday weekend, you'll often get a reply from the owner of the company that manufactures or distributes the product and / or their tech' support staff.
CB has members world wide and thus in many time zones; don't be surprised to receive a reply from Tanzania, New Zealand, Australia, The Orient, Europe, The U.K., South, Central and North America. Post at any hour of your day or night and you're likely to receive a reply from somebody; myself, I'm posting from Canada, north of Donald's Walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Thanks, SteveB. I'm just playing and experimenting with the Express until we can get our new Element in place and know the knowledge I'm gaining now (especially with DMX) will serve me well in working the Element. I plan to hook up my strobes in the morning on 513 and see if they come alive. Will let you know how I make out. Have a great evening...

Remember that the starting address you set on the strobe is 1, 4, etc,.... the devices don’t know about universes.

@Massey28694 If you're posting on the Control Booth forum and want to attract attention faster, I'll suggest two (and a half) options:
1; Typing @ before a member's pseudonym should automatically alert them of your post the next time they log in.
2; Assuming they have an e-mail address and their Control Booth account set to request "Notification by e-mail", click on their name or image and a window should pop up containing their profile INCLUDING the option to "Start a converastion". If /when you click on "Start a conversation" you'll be able to type your message, then scroll down and choose between two more options: "Allow others to join this conversation" OR "Lock this conversation." After typing your message AND selecting a privacy choice, click on "Send this Conversation" (or whatever that button's labelled.) and your message is on it's way. I've been told by DVS Dave himself, even he can't read or reply to locked conversations; considering the Control Booth Forum is Dave's site, I have no trouble believing him.
2.5; The Control Booth forum has members running the gamut from total newb's to folks long retired from Cirque, Disney and similar as well as manufacturers and their sales and technical support departments. If / when you're hoping for attention, even in the middle of a three day holiday weekend, you'll often get a reply from the owner of the company that manufactures or distributes the product and / or their tech' support staff.
CB has members world wide and thus in many time zones; don't be surprised to receive a reply from Tanzania, New Zealand, Australia, The Orient, Europe, The U.K., South, Central and North America. Post at any hour of your day or night and you're likely to receive a reply from somebody; myself, I'm posting from Canada, north of Donald's Walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
@RonHebbard Ron, trying this now. But in patch I cannot type in any dimmer number over 100. If I type 513, it drops the 5 and goes to 13. Am I missing something?

OK guys, please let me try this one more time. Today I changed my number of dimmer addresses from from 100 to 1024, thus allowing me to patch to U2 dmx addresses. I patched dimmer 513 to channel 80, 514 to 81, and 515 to 82 (I’m assuming the dk2000 strobes are 3 channel, though I’ve seen it also referenced as 2 channel). My strobe dip switches have only number 1 on, which should make it dmx address 1. I am coming off the U2 on the back of the Express, going thru an Entek splitter for safety, and into the dmx in on the strobe fixture. I put a line terminator in the dmx out on the strobe.

In some Dk2000 documentation, it says to use dimmer percentages to perform special functions. The first channel should be intensity, the second channel speed and special functions.

I key channels 80, 81, and 82 at full and lower percentages and I get nothing. In the meantime, the dmx light on the back of the strobe is coming on every few seconds and the strobe flashes when it does.

I looked at “about” dimmer 80 and I don’t see U2 shown anywhere. It does show it assigned itself profile 2 which is a device name unknown to me. Must I have a profile for this particular strobe, and if so, can I modify an existing one to work? Also, going from memory here, I believe it showed the dimmer address as maybe 1/513 (??). Not certain this is exactly what I saw, but it looked confusing as I took the “1” to mean U port 1. Well, I have my dmx in port 2 at this time, so could the addressing maybe be wrong??

As you can see, I am a lost puppy! . I’m going back tomorrow to look at it again. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

What’s your input output set at. You set your max channel but did you adjust your IO.

D63B361A-4E3D-4C20-9F1E-F53A9E32BDF8.jpeg

Setup 2 enter. Then adjust port 2 to 513

You can see in the picture above you replied faster than I could turn on my OLE

I am almost certain I have seen those output settings and mine does already show port 2 starting at 513, but I will double check in the morning. Thanks for the assistance!

You about should look like this.
2B28035C-A6F2-4E10-AFE7-C853D02CBB4B.jpeg

Your patch should look like this.
DBD089BB-72EA-456E-B9C0-37F17DC23768.jpeg

The profile is just a channel profile and doesn’t have anything to do with the fixture.

Go into patch and type channel 80 and then S7 and then S6 and then hit clear to remove the profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back