Express channels, DMX, and strobes

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for coming back and telling us what the issue was.
Keep in mind these are used strobes and the dip values were not very legible on the back of the instruments. Turns out my dips are valued backwards to what I assumed was standard (I know, never assume anything!).
You've triggered my memory. Since I mentioned Dataflashes before, their switches are a little odd too. If ALL switches are OFF, address is 001. Let that sink in...turn DW#1 ON, address=002. There are a few other devices out there that use this same scheme, but Dataflashes and Intellabeams are the most famous. Wouldn't want the intensity to make you irate for the duration.

So here is my guess since I’ve never used that brand of fixture before...

Once powered, the fixture’s electronics take about 5 minutes to “warm up” much like a fogger or hazer. But once that 5 minutes has passed, other than tube duty cycle, the fixture should keep running regardless of the channel levels (intensity, speed and duration).

That’s my thoughts and 2 cents! Love to hear other opinions, or if anyone has the definitive answer.

Darren W. Hales
Head Electrician
Arts Club Granville Island Stage
Vancouver, BC
@Jekyll Hey Jekyll, I believe after I fixed the dip switch issue, the fixtures came on pretty quickly and were stable within maybe a minute or so. Not bad and I can work around it by taking the advice offered on here and if need be simply que the unit long enough in advance so its ready to fire on cue. Appreciate your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back