Express: rates on fader, latching submasters

soundlight

So I will be using an Express 24/48 to run a concert live this weekend, I can't really cue anything because I haven't heard the bands, and most of them are too small to have a CD out, and I don't even know who they are to look at their myspace music pages, if any of them even have one, I know that most of them don't. So, everything is going to be focus points and subs.

I would like to be able to do a few things here - one, latching subs. As in I have a set of channels that are at full and recorded in to a submaster, and I want to be able to push the bump button once, and the channels to be latched on at full until I hit that submaster bump button again, releasing the channels, without holding the button down the whole time. And macros are out of the question with this, I've already used M1-M3 for other things. So basically, the first time that I push the button will be the start of the dwell time, and the second time will be the end of the dwell time. Not sure if this is possible on Express, but it would make my life so much easier.

Also, rate faders. I've seen sumasters used as rate control for effects before, but something is slipping my mind as I read the Express manual. In other words, you have an effect loaded in to a submaster, and that sub controls the high level of the effect. There's another sub that's right next to it that controls the rate of said effect. I've seen it done before, but can't figure it out. If someone could describe how to do this or point me to the set of pages in the Express manual that explains this, that would be great. The manual and I had a long war this evening, and the manual one this battle.

To run a sub as a cue:

- Record the desired channels into the sub

- Go to Blind, select the sub you want to put times into

- Press S2 - Sub List

- Scroll to the sub you're working on, scroll right arrow over to the Up time - modify as desired for an upfade, then arrow/scroll to Dwell and press the Clear button till the Dwell indicates "Hold". Then scroll to Down and enter a desired down time - or Zero if it's a bumps).

What this does is allow you to press the subs bump button which activates the look (without needing to run the sub handle to full), which activates the look in the desired time (zero being a desired time as well). The look will not release (the reason for Hold on Dwell) until the 2nd bump press.

- Make sure your bump buttons are Enabled in setup

I have no idea about Sub Effects rate over-ride. That's a new one.

Maybe go to the ETC Users Forums and post there ?.

http://www.etcconnect.com/Community/forums/default.aspx

Steve B.

Last edited:
you could also program the cues and use the AB or CD manual crossfader pares to run the show so you can time the cues. However, in your case I believe it will be easier to use submasters with the programming method that StevenB mentioned.

Since I don't know the music at all, there's really no way to write cues. I may have some base cues written, but that's it, everything's gonna be done off subs and focus points.

...Also, rate faders. I've seen sumasters used as rate control for effects before, but something is slipping my mind as I read the Express manual. In other words, you have an effect loaded in to a submaster, and that sub controls the high level of the effect. There's another sub that's right next to it that controls the rate of said effect. I've seen it done before, but can't figure it out. ...
Are you sure it was an effect and not a sub-routine? I vaguely recall, on an Expression3, using a sub to control the rate. I can't find it in the manual. Sounds like a great question for sclausen. I could tell you how to do it on a grandMA, but of course that's no help.:twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back