Expresssion48/96

legacy

I have an install where there are 72 channels of dimming and 8 Intell fixtures. the console will be an ETC Expression 48/96. The DMX cable is run to the dimmers and another to the intells ( 6 Robe 240 Color mix and 2 250 spot) the intent was to use a Splitter and run one Universe. but now Would it be better to run Two one for the statics and house and one for the intells. This is a church install and they may decide to also use lightjockey as well using the Global patch to link the two together.... I can get more detailed if this is really confusing <g>.

My electrician in me says put dimmers in universe one, and intels in the second universe. The installer in me says, just hook it all up and call it a day. However, for the cost of an opto isolator you can afford to make the extra run (it should be nearly the same chase, so labor wise it doesn't really matter). I would much rather have the two drops, and this allows for you to add more fixtures later on. Also, when it comes to patching, it is much less convoluted. If I have the option, I even try to put different types of fixture in different universes (the express only has 2, so thats pretty much not possible).

If they might be installing a separate moving light console later on, go ahead and run the movers on a second universe. Like Footer4321 said, the labor wont be much more. Its always nice to have a spare line anyways in case of problems later on. The express 48/96 only has 192 control channels anyways. If you add more movers you will need a second console. If you are running an Expression 3 then channels shouldn't be to much of a problem. Does etc make an Expression 48/96?

Matt McCormick
www.cablepick.com

Last edited:
Exactly, with the server you can have something like 30000 dimmers. No way that you are ever going to use that much

And no way are you going to use the Express on a system with that many dimmers anyways.

Thanks Guys. We had already run the second cable anticipating the tow universes,, just wanted to make sure I was not messing up.... Would I need a splitter or merger when the PC console is added later

Thanks Guys. We had already run the second cable anticipating the tow universes,, just wanted to make sure I was not messing up.... Would I need a splitter or merger when the PC console is added later

Depends. If you want the express to control the conventionals and the PC to control the movers, its a simple thing of connecting the right run to the right output. If you want the PC to control both you will either need a pc that has two outputs (which is doable, and probably cheaper then an opto isolator) or the opto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back