Extension to NSB line from Pathway Connectivity

Rob

NSB (Network Sliders and Buttons) can now live on a multi-drop 485 network.

NSB™ is a system of modular button and slider wall station inserts that are fully compatible with Cognito2™ and Choreo™ lighting control platforms. Design the wall station needed, from single-gang up to six-gang.

Learn about the NSB 485 Gateway HERE.

Are you looking for something with a small LCD on the buttons, or perhaps just a scribble strip?

Also, am I correct in reading that the console must me running for these wall panels to work?
I'm looking for permanent custom labels, and I don't see a way to get that done consistently well. 4 buttons next to an entry - no one should have to guess. A small programmable display would suffice if done well and long lived but basic engraving/printing is all I'm asking for.

@BillConnerFASTC and @DavidJones

Thank you for your comments on NSB. We appreciate your feedback. We do understand that labeling is a requirement for some systems.

However, in this case, NSB is an extension to the Cognito2 or Choreo controllers that enables direct control of programmed Memories from remote locations. One of the many unique benefits of this “ecosystem” is that the Show File is editable by the end user - directly on the device. There is no compiling, remote authoring, downloading, assembling etc. of the lighting look. That requirement can be the downfall of some other systems.

We find voice-of-the-customer validation of our concept in the following thread that appeared here on Control Booth:
This is so depressing, because it means the school has bought a system that can do pretty much everything, but, because only [the integrator] knows how it works (and won't tell us without getting paid to answer every single question), we can't make it do much of anything. We have a world-class, state-of-the-art, theatrical lighting system that can be configured in any way we want, but we can't change a thing because [of a] business model [which] relies on intermediary installers who hold the necessary information hostage for ransom.

This brings us to another point. Because our system is designed to be versatile and easily configurable, having engraved legends for the hard buttons is problematic as they can be quickly rendered obsolete by a new or modified Show File. Our system does have locks to prevent unauthorized reconfiguration, but periodic or occasional reconfiguration by end users is one of our strongest selling points and we promote that. Labeling comes with other issues. For example, with an installation in a church or museum or ballroom, it is a good practice to postpone engraving buttons and sliders until several months of operation has transpired because it is very difficult to predict how a space will be used.

Are you looking for something with a small LCD on the buttons
LCD buttons very expensive. Touch glass is more appropriate in most applications.
Also, am I correct in reading that the console must me running for these wall panels to work?
Yes, for all the reasons stated above. For simple Snapshot and Zone control, see our Vignette product line.
Rest assured, we are always “ears open” to feedback like this. It has a significant impact on our product development efforts. Please do continue to visit our web site and we hope to welcome you to our booth at trade shows like InfoComm, LDI and USITT.

I do specify blank plates be installed initially and that the engraving is later. But many things are unlikely to change - like the toggle for a control room work light, catwalk work lights, or the basic on off at an entry station, and the non-regular user like the school principal or pastor or substitute teacher benefits from having labels. Why on earth would you reprogram a work light switch to do something else?

I like flexibility but at some point flexibility becomes limpness.

In your quote about only the integrator being able to do it, which is not entirely true because a power user can learn to modify and reprogram Paradigm at least (I've given up on Netvision and that's all there is), it would be useful to understand what of "everything" the user wanted to do was and why the integrator wouldn't do it. Does everything mean changing the basic work light switches to run cues? For a few clients, I have had ETC modify a configuration and pretty simple for user to install and test.

LCD, touch glass, "smart ink" (whatever happened to that), engraving, printing - labels pure and simple. You enter the room, there's 4 buttons, somehow it should indicate in a neat and legible means what the buttons do. Fire, heart attack, active shooter, someone misbehaving - I want whomever is ushering or running the event and standing in the back of the room to not have to guess or be worried about which button to press.

I think it's fine that Pathway wants to manufacture great products and not get involved in project management and custom systems, but it means that there will be some applications for which their products are not suitable.

Reactions: Rob
I do specify blank plates be installed initially and that the engraving is later. But many things are unlikely to change - like the toggle for a control room work light, catwalk work lights, or the basic on off at an entry station, and the non-regular user like the school principal or pastor or substitute teacher benefits from having labels. Why on earth would you reprogram a work light switch to do something else?

I like flexibility but at some point flexibility becomes limpness.

In your quote about only the integrator being able to do it, which is not entirely true because a power user can learn to modify and reprogram Paradigm at least (I've given up on Netvision and that's all there is), it would be useful to understand what of "everything" the user wanted to do was and why the integrator wouldn't do it. Does everything mean changing the basic work light switches to run cues? For a few clients, I have had ETC modify a configuration and pretty simple for user to install and test.

LCD, touch glass, "smart ink" (whatever happened to that), engraving, printing - labels pure and simple. You enter the room, there's 4 buttons, somehow it should indicate in a neat and legible means what the buttons do. Fire, heart attack, active shooter, someone misbehaving - I want whomever is ushering or running the event and standing in the back of the room to not have to guess or be worried about which button to press.

I think it's fine that Pathway wants to manufacture great products and not get involved in project management and custom systems, but it means that there will be some applications for which their products are not suitable.

@BillConnerFASTC : Good Afternoon! again. Yes, all of your comments and obervations are valid and we don't dispute any of them. We accept that there will be projects where we don't fit because of the way we do things or because of things we do not do. When we set out on our adventure (combining Horizon and Pathway) we spent a lot of time analyzing what established controls companies were doing and what was therefore available to the market at large. For us - let me repeat that: for us - we wanted to come to market with a solution that did not have any MeeeTwo part numbers and that would fit in to our business model of supporting and going to market through systems integrators.

So far, it has been good and so as long as that remains the case, we will stick to our business model while accepting the fact that there will be projects where we can't be a players for the controls scope.

This is a good dialogue we are having. We appreciate having the oppportunity to be a part of it.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

That's it exactly. Great designs, very nicely packaged, and at a great price point. Doesn't fit all projects and needs and tastes. I just take exception to the suggestion that labeling switches and sliders is a bad idea, and wish your products provided a labeling option.

That's it exactly. Great designs, very nicely packaged, and at a great price point. Doesn't fit all projects and needs and tastes. I just take exception to the suggestion that labeling switches and sliders is a bad idea, and wish your products provided a labeling option.
@BillConnerFASTC : Noted. Trust me when I tell you that everyone on our product development team has been following this thread. We have our quarterly "road map" meeting coming up soon and we will spend some time on this issue. I can only commit to our spending some time on this issue, but if there is something to come from that, I will reach out and brief you.

Best,

Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back