extreamly stupid question

Old stages used to all have a hefty rake, with the back of the stage rather higher than the front; therefore:

Upstage is the back of the stage, furthest from the audience (and originally more 'up' than the front)

Downstage is the area closest to the audience (and originally more 'down').

PS is Prompt Side and OP is Opposite Prompt. This refers to places where someone would actually prompt actors if they forgot lines. I forget which, but PS is usually either SL or SR, I don't recall which.

However, I already have a Rosco book. Perhaps someone else can claim it?

Nice work..... as we move forward into the future, there are becomming less and less people that actually know all the staff about how the stage was named... ive heard some good reasons as to why there is US, DS, OP & PS lol

On one of my lighting plans, i usually do like UPS - up stage centre and UPSC PS and i showed it to someone that was learning and he was like "i think you spelt this wrong" i was like :| lol

I'll use US, USL, USR, DS, DSL, DSR, CS, CSL, CSR and then for 'inbetween positions', a format like: 'SL of DSR' rather than 'SR of DS' because the first is clear that you mean a position between DS center and DS right, the second could be interpreted to DSR by accident. I think the craziest blocking notation I ever used was something like "circles USRofCS clockwise starting at SRofCS" - yay for crazy moves :) Notation is very much a personal thing though, diff'rent strokes and all that :D

PS: I have also seen SM and OSM used instead of PS and OP

Usually we call our catwalk (FOH) "the beam". We call our balcony rails "balcony" and our box booms the "alcoves". Our box booms arent really boxes, they are tall and narrow coves (about 3' wide and 25' tall) each housing 6 zoom ellipsoidals in a ladder format. I gel these in CMY most of the time. For my standard house hang, the balcony zooms are gelled in RBG. Sometimes we do use these for special pattern projection/fx. For the most part, our catwalk hangs our front area lights. These are 26 degree SL ellipsoidals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back