Eye Protection

FED

Hi everyone. This is my first significant post!

A recent conversation with an old colleague got me thinking about eye safety. He commented on how his eyesight seemed to have deteriorated over the years of working as the main light-op/technician in my school theatre. Main concerns were with the amount of time spent looking into beams of light (incandecents, projectors, HID lamps, LED lights, etc.). He said that he started the job with almost 20/20 vision and leaving the job 4 years later needing eyeglasses.

Onto my question,
- In regards to the handling and working around of theatrical lighting, what hazards exist and how significant is the impact of these hazards onto eyesight?
- What steps can be taken to prevent and reduce deterioration of ones eyesight?
- Would it be best to wear eye protection (sunglasses , etc.)? Specific types of protection to look for?

Thanks!

I doubt that looking into the lights caused your friend's vision loss unless he's been standing on deck daily staring at the lights for long periods of time. If you only do it briefly once or twice a month, like most of us do then I doubt it's going to cause permanet damage. Having some sunglasses in your kit is a good idea, but it's far more important to just not run the lights at 100% any time you need to look up into the lights. Turn them down to at least 60% or preferably less! You can still get the information you need at lower levels.

Our eyes develop presbyopia as we age which is diminished range of focus our eyes. This becomes particularly noticeable after age 40 at which point we start to need reading glasses, bifocals, or trifocals to counteract the loss. It is likely coincidental that this point was reached while working in the school theatre.

I don't think four years is enough time to develop Klieg Eye, and if you wear glasses they probably already do some UV filtering.

As I was told the last time I visited an eye doctor complaining about the seemingly rapid deterioration of my eye sight, "You have had too many birthday cakes."

Eat carrots.

Get enough sleep.

Keep foreign objects out.

Do these things and you should achieve the "rated life" of your optical sensors!!!

I agree that age is the biggest factor. I'll also add that UV exposure from sun light is damaging to the eyes, just as it causes sunburn to skin. Wear sunglasses when outside in the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back