F100 Fogger Sprays Liquid

Help! My F100 Fogger sprays hot liquid from the output nozzle! What is broken?? Do I need a new heating element? It's definitely working.. Just sprays hot hot liquid along with fog.. Any tips would help! Thanks!!

I am not familiar with that specific unit, but my guess is that your heating coil is not working as efficiently as in the past. Some fluid spray can happen as the fog juice that has not been heated enough gets pushed out by the fluid behind it. It depends on how much you are talking about. Think of it as the same type of issue you get with old maids in batches of popcorn.

After some quick research, it looks like you have some temperature adjustment available on that unit. That might help alleviate the issue, but, as the instructions say, it should only be performed if you have the correct equipment.

http://www.highend.com/support/effects/F100TempAdjust.asp

Good Luck!

You may just need to clean it out. I had an F100 this weekend that was shooting fluid about 10 feet. I was able to get most of that to go away just by cleaning out the nozzle. Using the right size precision screwdriver to clean out the nozzle (after the unit is COMPLETELY COOL) may help. Also, running distilled water through it is a common practice for clearing out gunk that may cause it to not work optimally.

If cleaning does not work, You may need to calibrate the heater. It's not real hard to do. It's a K type thermocouple, so you need to use a millivolt meter or a meter that uses a k type thermocouple and displayed degrees.

Google it, you will find a service document from high-end. It's just measuring and adjusting trim-pots for hi and low thermostat settings.

Hopefully it will work out; you cannot get heating elements for f-100 any more.

Edit: someone already posted the link above. Thanks!

Surprised cleaning would make the unit stop squirting fluid?
If it is squirting fluid, it means that the fluid isn't reaching vaporization temperature before the pump is being turned on.
Check the thermostat and recalibrate if necessary, also I would think that lightparts has replacement thermocouples in stock. (or used to) and they are cheap.
But you will need to recalibrate after replacement.

I run 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar. DO NOT leave the mixture in the system - always run fresh fluid immediately after cleaning (as counter-productive as it may sound, this is what High-End told me to do). I had two FQ-100 units kill their pumps after they were stored with the cleaning solution. I guess the acid in the vinegar degrades parts.

That said, I'm with @Wood4321 that a cleaning might not solve this problem. Generally it will get hot either way, but a dirty heater core won't pass any fluid, or at least very little. Is the unit getting warm on top? You might investigate the heater core and/or thermostat. Could be as simple as something coming disconnected inside the unit.

Also, might be worth noting. Though it has nothing to do with the original problem posted, if anyone ever needs a pump for an f-100, Its an espresso machine pump, I think either EP5 or EX5 will work. Just peal back the Highend label, the oem part number is underneath.

Good Morning

MIkeJ & wood 4321 are right

The temp adjustment is way off.
The heater should be about 390’F before the machine is READY
There are 2 adjustment pots 1 for max temp & 1 for run time before it shuts down for reheat, typically 30-45 sec.
There isn’t a thermostat per se
There is a safety thermal cut off on the side of the dog house. DO NOT BYPASS IT
Did anything happen just before it the issue started?
Was the machine dropped?
Although cleaning is always a good idea, I don’t think it will help this issue.

BTW
an espresso machine pump is a bit pricey & if fluid is coming out the front, the pump should be fine.

Although I suspect there is a mechanical reason that your fluid is not vaporizing I wouldn't be too quick to discount cleaning. Although the problem is more prevalent in hazers if this unit has seen A LOT of hours since it's last cleaning there may be some buildup in the heat exchanger that is preventing proper heating of the fluid. It's a long shot, but it's not exactly hard, time consuming, or expensive to try it.

Some amount of liquid will always come out. Not usually enough that you can even see it while it's happening (usually you only notice when you get done for the evening and there's some grime on the floor where the fogger's been running all night long), but it is enough to burn you if you're dumb enough to stick your hand in front of the nozzle while it's in operation.

Good Morning

MIkeJ & wood 4321 are right

The temp adjustment is way off.
The heater should be about 390’F before the machine is READY
There are 2 adjustment pots 1 for max temp & 1 for run time before it shuts down for reheat, typically 30-45 sec.
There isn’t a thermostat per se
There is a safety thermal cut off on the side of the dog house. DO NOT BYPASS IT
Did anything happen just before it the issue started?
Was the machine dropped?
Although cleaning is always a good idea, I don’t think it will help this issue.

BTW
an espresso machine pump is a bit pricey & if fluid is coming out the front, the pump should be fine.

Yep. I was just mentioning the pump as general knowledge, not for this particular situation. If recall correctly, it was about 1/3 of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back