Fabricating Scrim Cones

Hello Control Booth,

I am working on a production that requires four large Scrim cones to be fabricated. A few problems I am in a black box without a rigging system (a grid but no fly). They are positioned at the moment at cross joints but I am wondering what the best way to hang them will be. They won't have to move until tear out so that's not an issue. Also at the moment they are drawn to have two metal rings. One at the bottom 6' in diameter one at the top 6"; will tension be enough to hold them?

Thanks so much,

Jack

Giving precise rigging advice for a space we've never seen and objects that don't currently exist it very difficult at the best of times. I would assume that since you have a grid something has probably been hung from it before. What did they do last time and can the same technique be used this time? You have professors and hopefully some permanent technical staff. When it comes to rigging they should be able to give you a better answer than strangers on the internet.

A few thoughts that may or may not help:

Since you have a metal ring at the top you could probably fabricate your attachment points to that ring and then it's just a matter of how you attach it to the ceiling. Rigging implements vary somewhat in size and are rarely perfect for any given application so a turnbuckle or two are likely to be your friend for dialing in your trim height.

As far as tension goes it's hard to predict ahead of time, but if there isn't enough tension you could always just add weight to the bottom to pull the scrim tighter. I would think deviations from the ideal cone shape would be a larger issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back