Microphones Fake Shure

Hey, Henry, nice to see you as part of Control Booth! Despite what others may say you are exactly the kind of store that I feel should be a model for others. Family owned local store that is actually large enough to support keeping an enormous inventory. I can actually walk into B&H and find the things that I need. That's really all that matters to me in local businesses. If I need to buy something it's because I have a gig within 24 hours (likely less) that calls for it. Ordering it does me absolutely no good. As an example, I need a high quality lav mic. I was going to buy a DPA 4060 but no one has it in stock (even B&H) and they all say "Ships within 7-14 days." That means it could take almost a month for me to actually receive it. So I'm forced to go a different route.

BTW, we are authorized Shure retailers and don't buy Shure products from anyone other than our authorized vendor or Shure itself.

Exactly. How anyone could think differently just shows their ignorance. I just got off the phone, placing an order with Sennheiser. As a dealer, why would I buy them from anywhere else?

I'm curious as for what reason the presidential crew always has used the SM57. I do see the SM58 used a lot as a hand held mic, what would be the main differences for usage between a 57 and 58?

I'm curious as for what reason the presidential crew always has used the SM57. I do see the SM58 used a lot as a hand held mic, what would be the main differences for usage between a 57 and 58?

I was told the main difference was the wind screen by a friend. I'm skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to beat a dead horse, but the capsules in the 57 and the 58 are (or at least were) the same.
The different grille arrangements have effects on pickup pattern and frequency response.

I'm certain we've talked about this before - use the search and we'll all have a nice day.

I don't recall asking about a SM57 before, it's possible. I did read some topics about SM57 and SM58 more so about how rugged they are and what instruments to use them for. I did find this topic, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/2216-sm57s-beta-58s-beta-58as-oh-my.html

What I'm most curious about is I'd like a mic that will primarily be used for vocals or speeches. However would like the ability to mic an instrument or amp (in relation to my DI question). Looking between 57A, 57, 58.

Rather confusing, since it seems a lot recommend the 58 for vocal, however why does the president use the 57?

Last edited:
Rather confusing, since it seems a lot recommend the 58 for vocal, however why does the president use the 57?

Because the president's mics don't get treated like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The grille is there to protect the mic from abuse, and the windscreen helps prevent plosives (the p and t sounds that pop in a microphone). In your situation, I'd get a SM58.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gear I use is treated with upmost respect so I'm not worried about kiddies getting their hands on it. I do audio for some smaller political and city type events.

The President isn't singing with the mic 2" from his lips, which is what the SM58 is designed for. The "ball" windscreen is to reduce plosives when it is used up close. The 58 has a relatively full low-end response, compared to the 57 which has a fair amount of bass roll-off. The roll-off reduces proximity effect (bass boost due to directional pattern) when it is used close to instruments, which is what the 57 is designed for. For podium use, the roll-off is useful to avoid picking up vibrations and noise, and the low end isn't needed for the voice. The 57 is physically narrower, without the ball windscreen, so it nests neatly in a group of two or three, as the President's mic is always redundant for absolute reliability.

I have noticed that the 57s have disappeared from the Presidential podium lately. They have been replaced with some kind of compact condenser gooseneck. About the same time that happened, the broadcast pool feeds began clipping at times. It seems they haven't yet learned about preamp headroom and microphone output levels.

Sounds like the 57 would be the best choice with a 58 or two to use for actual vocalists.

I don't like the 58 because of how close you have to hold it. The 57 looks like he's usually a decent distance.

I feel like there's a never ending choice

Hey, Henry, nice to see you as part of Control Booth! Despite what others may say you are exactly the kind of store that I feel should be a model for others. Family owned local store that is actually large enough to support keeping an enormous inventory. I can actually walk into B&H and find the things that I need.

Thank you. This is very gratifying and much appreciated

Because the president's mics don't get treated like this:

I distinctly recall a short but hilarious scene of microphone testing from the movie The Commitments. I believe a forehead was involved. :)

The President isn't singing with the mic 2" from his lips, which is what the SM58 is designed for.

I saw Buddy Guy at BB King's club in NYC a couple of years ago. Great show, not least because I was close enough to tell the time from his wristwatch. What impressed me most was he never gargled the mic. It was always several inches from his mouth and the results were excellent

Last edited:
True Story:

I was once doing a large concert at Hammerstein Ballroom (3000 seat venue half a block away from B&H) when the video switcher died. The piece of equipment, not the guy HAHA. The switcher was aging, and the producer agreed to buy a new one.

I walked over to B&H and twenty minutes later had a replacement setup and ready to go.

Like they say on the radio, Ya go to B&H!!!

I have a follow-up on this, also. I am amazed that a 57 can pick up the president from so far away so well. Having not heard any of them in person, I am assuming they must all project well, but still...Any thoughts on this?

part of it could be appearance ... visually the SM57 is a lot less noticable than the 58 ...

I have a follow-up on this, also. I am amazed that a 57 can pick up the president from so far away so well. Having not heard any of them in person, I am assuming they must all project well, but still...Any thoughts on this?
More about feedback, EQ, gain, and math. As long as you can EQ the mic flat enough, and the ratio of person speaking to microphone vs distance from speaker system to microphone is good, you can crank the gain and have good pickup at a nice distance. A big factor is ambient noise. Getting the ratio of a person's voice over ambient background noise can be a bigger limiting factor. All this assumes a minimum reasonable quality microphone is used. SM57 is very reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back