The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Fake Snow Options

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by Matt_Tech_12, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Matt_Tech_12

Matt_Tech_12 Member

Hello,

I am looking for good fake snow options. I have looked at the options on amazon and don't k now what would be a good option for stage use. The director wants it to fall from the grid with larger flakes if possible and for it to live on stage the rest of the show. Open to recommendations.

Thank you

2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Rose Brand sells both Paper and Plastic "fake snow".
    Plastic is MUCH cheaper, and IMHO looks better.
    All types of fake snow, when left on stage, can be extremely hazardous as they are really slippery. In a proscenium situation I usually like to have the snow fall in front of or behind the action, not directly over where the actors are.
    BTW, If you don't know, please heed the safety warnings. Do NOT recycle snow that has been used. It picks up every last bit of lint and dirt and reusing it cause cause actors or dancers to receive sever eye trauma.

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

By "grid," do you really mean the gridiron or just "from above"? Is your venue a counterweight fly system with two adjacent empty pipes? See snow cradle, snow bag. If it's a pipe grid, a snow drum is best.

Try to avoid plastic flakes falling on/near lighting fixtures. Once melted, it never comes off.

RonHebbard and Amiers like this.
  4. EdSavoie

EdSavoie Active Member

Out of curiosity, are the liquid based solutions any good?

I see paper and plastic flakes mentioned, but what about the glycerin + surfucant based snow? It's almost like fog fluid, but it makes flakes!

5. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Liquid based will not stick around and the clusters are very small making them hard to see from a distance. Good over-crowd effect, but not as good for a stage effect.
    The plastic snow, you will be finding for years after! Live up the street from where "The Trouble With Angels" was filmed. (Early sixties) They brought in truckloads to cover the grounds in front of the castle. 10 years later you could still find the stuff!

6. bdkdesigns

bdkdesigns Active Member Fight Leukemia

Those snow machines that use the liquid are LOUD. As in two of them running can be heard over a full orchestra. Plus they are essentially soap and create a far more slippery surface than the plastic stuff.

In my opinion, the plastic snow looks the best and is quiet in a snow cradle.

Van likes this.
  7. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Several years ago, a company I used to work for was asked to add some liquid snow machines to the Christmas display in a mall in downtown PDX. After a couple days they were killed because, even running intermittently they left so much slipperly slime all over the floor and the railings 4 stories below them they were creating a slip and fall hazard.
    Oh, and 8 years later there are still a bunch of Christmas light strands with goo caked all over them.... Yuck!

8. DrPinto

DrPinto Active Member

I agree with the snow cradle idea. We used a snow cradle with cut up white plastic shopping bags like you get from the supermarket. Cheap, easy to make, and it looked REALLY good.

9. Matt_Tech_12

Matt_Tech_12 Member

Thank you all, we did end up with the plastic snow and the snow cradle. We found a way to get it cleaned up off the stage in time before it became a slipping hazard for the actors.

Van and JohnD like this.