Fake Tattoos

photoatdv

Hey everyone. I'm not usually on the makeup side, but somehow wound up helping this show. We need to put fake tattoos on several people. At least one of the guys will need to have his entire upper body covered, and a couple of other people will need their arms covered.

I'd like to use the sleeves, but these need to be realistic to 5' or so, and those are noticeable from close. We did tribal type patterns using some sort of kids washable markers on a previous show, but I don't remember what was used. The ones on the lower arms/face/hands need to be easily and cleanly removable. We can do something that takes a bit longer where it will be hidden.

Of course as cheaply as possible is good.

Is henna an option?
They last for a few weeks then fade away on their own.

Nope-- they last too long. They've got to be quickly removable as I doubt they'd take to kindly to being covered in tattoos for a month or two. I like the standard kids toy type fake tattoos, but they aren't big enough to look right all over people. And of course money (and time) means we can't have custom ones made.

As you've already mentioned, the sleeve type arm coverings may be spruced up a bit with Sharpies. (Off the actor of course, with a cardboard arm within the sleeve.) As far as tattoos covering the face and torso, perhaps a tattooed pantyhose-type shirt and face mask could be employed. My fear is that any washable marker would more than likely leave either redness from scrubbing, or color from the ink itself even after attempted removal.

<edit- While still non-henna tattoos, here are a few selections of large washable types... http://www.tattoosales.com/TattooFullView.aspx?productID=7964&description=In-Stock Tattoo Sheet > also http://www.vendingsupply.com/

Last edited:
Sharpie can be removed from skin with spray sunscreen! I'd recommend testing various colors of Sharpie with a few different sunscreen products but I found out this little trick when my kids started swimming competitively (to keep track of assigned heat/lane, swimmers will write their events on arms/legs/hands in sharpie). I've successfully used both aerosol and pump-style sunscreens, and multiple colors of Sharpie. Be careful around eyes, of course.
I've even had some success in removing Sharpie from hard surfaces with sunscreen.

It's the alcohol in the spray sunscreen that removes the Sharpie. This would also work with alcohol based hand sanitizer or alcohol swabs.

Last edited:
The fake tattoos which you peel the plastic off the front, put it face down on the skin and then hold a damp cloth over the paper backing work well. I've just come off a production of Cabaret where we had Kit Kat Klub tattoos; cast and crew had them, and we also put them on audience members. Loads of people thought mine was real; they lasted about a week before needing replacement and they were easy to get off with alcohol-based hand sanitizer, or actually just by scrubbing hard in the shower once the tattoos had started to peel. Don't know about cost though - ours were done by a sponsor.

The best method I've found for realistic fake tattoos is using a gel eyeliner with a layer of translucent powder on top so it looks under the skin. Gel eyeliner is great when you need a deep color with staying power that you can also get artistic with--flows great when applying and drys quickly without smudging. All removable with regular makeup remover. You can get a pot from ELF at target or online for 1$.

I use Kryolan Body Illustration Colors for temporary tattoos (as an intro to who I am - I'm the light guy at my church, but my business is as a face painter actually... so that's the context I'm doing BIC temporary tattoos in). The product is activated with 99% alcohol, will last a week or so, but is removed easily with alcohol. Waterproof/sweatproof. The black looks very real.

The product is activated with 99% alcohol, will last a week or so, but is removed easily with alcohol. Waterproof/sweatproof. The black looks very real.

That's insane! Uh, I mean- wow. Just in time for the part-time Harley riders and their short stay in Sturgis! :)

I'm glad this thread got dug up we need tatts for three folks in the next show !

I'm glad this thread got dug up we need tatts for three folks in the next show !

Let's see- that would Derek, me and you Van???

:)

(Laser ablated tattoos, now that's something to think about. No more dirty needles- just pure, clean electricity producing the likeness of Snoopy or Garfield on someone's , uh, well.... body parts. Edison would be proud!!!)

....(Laser ablated tattoos, now that's something to think about. No more dirty needles- just pure, clean electricity producing the likeness of Snoopy or Garfield on someone's , uh, well.... body parts. Edison would be proud!!!)

Isn't that what they had in Starship Troopers ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back