Falling Effect w/ Lighting

Chuckg436494

I am doing a musical where an actor is to be thrown off a building. My director would rather not have the actor actually fall. I'm asking if anyone has any ideas on how to make someone look like they are falling from a 12' platform with lighting effects instead of actually falling.

Few ideas.

Extra person in black holding the failing person in the air, lots of top and side light.

fashion a pedestal that they can lay against and again top light and some side light.

Both will require good amount of str and sta depending on how long you want the person falling.

Several years ago I saw a production that used a strong up light to give an illusion of falling. The ser up was an actress on a bridge. She leaned over and Reg lights shifted to a single up light for about a second then a blackout

It gave the illusion of falling / wind in the actresses face / horror and exultation that she had done it.

Not a realistic look, but captured the emotion wonderfully.

Best falling effect I've seen was a production of Les Mis where he 'jumped' off the bridge, was back lit to create a silhouette, and they raised the bridge gently while he 'fell'. Don't know if you have the fly space to go higher - maybe not start at 12'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back