Falls from catwalks etc.

Not quite catwalk, but our enclosed Lighting bridge above the house was recently upgraded to include a kickplate, as well as having redone the bars so that the two pipes + kickplate make it basically impossible to fall out even in the event someone flat-out fainted. Once you've hung 12 instruments, (it's the position from which the six zones are hung) it is even harder to fall out.

Mind you, fainting becomes a real possibility when sharing the small area with a 10KW space heater, as well as the low hanging ventilation duct that I've had the pleasure of "meeting" on numerous occasions.

Not quite catwalk, but our enclosed Lighting bridge above the house was recently upgraded to include a kickplate, as well as having redone the bars so that the two pipes + kickplate make it basically impossible to fall out even in the event someone flat-out fainted. Once you've hung 12 instruments, (it's the position from which the six zones are hung) it is even harder to fall out.

Mind you, fainting becomes a real possibility when sharing the small area with a 10KW space heater, as well as the low hanging ventilation duct that I've had the pleasure of "meeting" on numerous occasions.

As for the duct, do you happen to have padding on it to help avoid injury?

Er, no.

They should have probably added some though...
@EdSavoie "They" could just as easily be you since you've already admitted to: having "had the pleasure of "meeting" on numerous occasions." Familiarity it has oft' been said "breeds contempt". As you 're already familiar, you might be able to visit Home Depot and acquire some nice soft, flame retardant insulation along with an appropriate means of attachment rather than waiting for "they" or them, who are likely far less familiar, to get around to it. "They" aren't noted for their track record of useful / helpful accomplishments. Perhaps consider leaving your own thoughtful mark on the overhead duct rather than your head-sized indentation.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

This was the one I was thinking of, Bill - http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/k...revent-fatal-dec-fall/6RWQKvP4vV0O4pTSNk5rKI/

In our specific case there are two instances where I get concerned. Loading is problematic on certain linesets because our bridge is slightly higher than the bottom of some of the arbors, forcing a loader to reach down to get to weight. It doesn't help that it is also appreciably far away from the arbors horizontally too.

The other area is the lock rail. Being that it's at the mid travel, accessing the rear purchase line requires a tech to lean out. Not far enough where fall arrest is required, but if you were pulling down on a rear line and weren't paying attention to the location of the arbor I feel there's a chance of it catching you off balance and over the side you go.

I think @gafftaper mentioned having a similar situation at his venue with the arbors being too low and from what I gathered in that thread a lot of it is just design difficulties when creating a platform strong enough to hold all the arbor weight, and getting it just close enough to the arbor travel without getting in the way.

For us, the danger is mitigated through using fall arrest when loading and encouraging awareness of the arbor location on the lock rail.

Two parts here.
A) As regards plaster ceilings, I know ours will hold 200#. It's what I weigh, and there is literally no other access to the house lights. They reused the holes from 1927 when new cans were installed in 1983 (to the point the old fixtures are sitting to the new ones). Regarding access, if you haven't been up there before you are required to follow behind someone that has, only they know the safe zones.
B) Regarding the concept of "positive control", I'm reminded of the world's most useless No Exit sign. It's maybe 6x8 inches, and sits to the right of an 8 foot wide opening (no door). Not many people are going to see that in a panic, methinks.

Two parts here.
A) As regards plaster ceilings, I know ours will hold 200#. It's what I weigh, and there is literally no other access to the house lights. They reused the holes from 1927 when new cans were installed in 1983 (to the point the old fixtures are sitting to the new ones). Regarding access, if you haven't been up there before you are required to follow behind someone that has, only they know the safe zones.
B) Regarding the concept of "positive control", I'm reminded of the world's most useless No Exit sign. It's maybe 6x8 inches, and sits to the right of an 8 foot wide opening (no door). Not many people are going to see that in a panic, methinks.
@tjrobb I suspect today's drywall ceilings aren't built like your vintage plaster and lath gem from the 1920's. You're fortunate to have it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

This was the one I was thinking of, Bill - http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/k...revent-fatal-dec-fall/6RWQKvP4vV0O4pTSNk5rKI/

In our specific case there are two instances where I get concerned. Loading is problematic on certain linesets because our bridge is slightly higher than the bottom of some of the arbors, forcing a loader to reach down to get to weight. It doesn't help that it is also appreciably far away from the arbors horizontally too.

The other area is the lock rail. Being that it's at the mid travel, accessing the rear purchase line requires a tech to lean out. Not far enough where fall arrest is required, but if you were pulling down on a rear line and weren't paying attention to the location of the arbor I feel there's a chance of it catching you off balance and over the side you go.

I think @gafftaper mentioned having a similar situation at his venue with the arbors being too low and from what I gathered in that thread a lot of it is just design difficulties when creating a platform strong enough to hold all the arbor weight, and getting it just close enough to the arbor travel without getting in the way.

For us, the danger is mitigated through using fall arrest when loading and encouraging awareness of the arbor location on the lock rail.

The mention of walking on a truss makes me wonder if it was really a catwalk or a truss - catwalk truss or not. Too bad the average person can't get details of what happened - probably thanks to tort law.

The mention of walking on a truss makes me wonder if it was really a catwalk or a truss - catwalk truss or not. Too bad the average person can't get details of what happened - probably thanks to tort law.

Whatever they used to have at the time of accident, InterAmerica has flipped it to an all-TWG-all-the-time venue in both rooms. Nonetheless, I hope their stagehands are wearing fall protection with what appears to be knee/thigh-high top rails.

proxy.php

At the 2014 USITT convention I presented a workshop where the entire content was analyzing a single event where a teenager's fall from a 30' catwalk resulted in him spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I can't get into the details here, but the gist of it was this: Brand new High School Auditorium building (1 week old); unsupervised access; incorrectly designed catwalk; railing, and ladder; incorrectly built railings; no illumination designed / specified, adjacent space illumination never installed; no inspectors (Architect, Engineers, OSHA, Building Inspectors, Owner's staff, General and Subcontractors) noticed / reported any of the myriad of things wrong. Very messy lawsuit due to the many guilty parties.

Lesson to be learned: Know your space. Don't assume anyone involved in the design, construction, or inspection process has done their job. Inspect it yourself, and provide a written report with photographs of the potential hazard(s). Do what you have to do to cordon-off access to the hazard(s) until you can get someone to address them and correct them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back