Fans Always On

MythicFritz

Our high school theatre recently changed over from incan to LED. One model of front of house fixture we were given, Chauvet EVE E-100Z, has a fan that is constantly on. I don't like the idea of something running 24/7, doesn't feel energy efficient or long lasting.

Is there programming, a supporting system, something that should be turning off power to fixtures unused?

If there is, ideally it is not manual. The auditorium is a multi-use space and we have a house control system that let's users turn on and off a few basic looks from a small wall panel. So turning off the breakers when not in use would remove that usability.

In the quick start guide: https://www.chauvetdj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/EVE_E-100Z_V3_QRG_Rev3_ML6_WO.pdf it says that there is a mode in the menu that sets the fan to Auto or Full On. Chances are yours are set to On. If they are set to Auto then the place they are hung is too hot and it's making the fan work overtime to keep the unit from overheating.
You were right on with this. The installer left them all set to "on". I've turned them over to "auto" and will keep an eye on them during our upcoming performance. Thanks so much!
We have several Colorsource relays that we use to turn power off to our LEDs in places we don't have a better way. Since they are controlled by DMX we just program them into our house light system.
Do you know in what instance the power to an LED fixture be turned off? The power to ours is always on as far as I know.

Using a relay the fixtures are powered down when not in use. Every LED and mover in our spaces is on some sort of relay that turns off when not in use. We don’t turn the relays on unless the light is going to be in use, so movers only get power when the console is on.

You were right on with this. The installer left them all set to "on". I've turned them over to "auto" and will keep an eye on them during our upcoming performance. Thanks so much!

Do you know in what instance the power to an LED fixture be turned off? The power to ours is always on as far as I know.
LED fixtures have, as you know, have fans in them as well as computer-type power supplies. If both are left powered on continuously, they are subject not only to normal wear and tear, but also a multitude of electrical system disturbances like surges and lightning strikes. Left powered up, the fans and power supplies will fail long before the LEDs themselves do. I have had multiple LED fixtures in separate installations damaged by electrical disturbances. In each instance,
fixing them required replacing the power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back