Fastening Triscuits to the stud wall

RichG

Our theater group does not have a stock of platforms so based on research here we have started building triscuits. So far we've only used them once for a small 4x8 platform. We used 3 stud walls which seems way overkill but was extremely sturdy.

My question is around the proper fastening to the stud wall. The triscuits are supposed to have a bolt hole at each corner. In our use however we found our studs were directly under these holes, especially at the outside corners. We wound up drilling another hole in the triscuits set back a few inches to bolt the triscuit to the wall. This seemed wrong based on the triscuit design. Is there something obvious we should do differently building our stud walls? What am I missing?

-Rich

According to the Technical Design Solutions for Theatre Vol 2, in "The Triscuit-Studwall Deck System" brief by Don Harvey, a 3/8" hole is drilled through the triscuit in each corner, 1" in from each edge. On each side, each hole gets a 1/2" counterbore for washers and bolt heads. The hardware cited that can be used to fasten the triscuit to the studwall are: 5/16"x3-1/2" lag screws, 5/16"x4-1/2" hex head bolts, or a 3" drywall screw with washer. If you run your stud wall along the edges of the triscuit, making sure you're on the correct edge, those holes should line up.

According to the Technical Design Solutions for Theatre Vol 2, in "The Triscuit-Studwall Deck System" brief by Don Harvey, a 3/8" hole is drilled through the triscuit in each corner, 1" in from each edge. On each side, each hole gets a 1/2" counterbore for washers and bolt heads. The hardware cited that can be used to fasten the triscuit to the studwall are: 5/16"x3-1/2" lag screws, 5/16"x4-1/2" hex head bolts, or a 3" drywall screw with washer. If you run your stud wall along the edges of the triscuit, making sure you're on the correct edge, those holes should line up.

Ah so in my case I could use lag bolts, I didn't consider that... Thanks DRU! Also, thanks for referencing the "Technical Design Solutions for Theatre" That series was not even on my radar.

When I built our batch of triscuits, I designed them exclusively for 3 1/2" drywall screws, embedding a fender washer in each corner inside a counterbore on the interior side of the top sheet of ply. That takes a step out of the install process and ensures that they aren't used without washers, eating away at the structure.

Marshall beat me to it; A hole drilled in each corner and in the center of each side with an appropriate counter sink for a washer and a 3.5" screw will speed up install a ton. Then make yourself a shim set with 1/8" masonite to keep the Triscuits edges off of each other. Cut a 1/8 kerf in a 1x4,2, or 3. Glue and Insert a 1 1/2" wide strip of Masonite or Luan. after the layout is complete just pull the t shims out and everything is properly spaced and no squeaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back