Faux stained glass

Ryewalk84

So I know most use left over light gels in order to make stained glass windows, but I am trying to do something a little more intricate and don't want to cut and piece together hundreds of pieces. With that said, what else have you used/tried? What worked and what didn't?

Here is what I have found in my researching and it looks great but am trying to cut the budget even more on it-
For home decor, people are using clear glue and acrylic paints mixed together. White glue and black paint or used to make the leading. Great! Super cheap. However, I need 2 acrylic sheets that are 24"x96". Question is, do you think I could use a heavy duty clear marine vinyl? I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would have some flex to it and would be at bigger risk of damage when in storage, but I don't see any issues outside of that. If I sanded it slightly the glue should stick just as good as it would to acrylic sheets. Thoughts?

So I know most use left over light gels in order to make stained glass windows, but I am trying to do something a little more intricate and don't want to cut and piece together hundreds of pieces. With that said, what else have you used/tried? What worked and what didn't?

Here is what I have found in my researching and it looks great but am trying to cut the budget even more on it-
For home decor, people are using clear glue and acrylic paints mixed together. White glue and black paint are used to make the leading. Great! Super cheap. However, I need 2 acrylic sheets that are 24"x 96". Question is, do you think I could use a heavy-duty clear marine vinyl? I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would have some flex to it and would be at bigger risk of damage when in storage, but I don't see any issues outside of that. If I sanded it slightly the glue should stick just as good as it would to acrylic sheets. Thoughts?
@Ryewalk84 Have you considered gobos shining on scrim or do you need patrons to see through to something beyond? Rosco used to market a set of three stainless steel gobos intended to be used with gels of three different colors to appear as light passing through a stained glass window. I'm recalling these from back in the 1980's. At the same time Rosco offered another set of three stainless steel gobos with one intended to be used with primary green gel to give the appearance of a Christmas tree while the other two gobos appeared as two colors of decorations on the tree. This was long before high-temperature glass gobos and longer before the advent of LED sources.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Ryewalk84 Have you considered gobos shining on scrim or do you need patrons to see through to something beyond? Rosco used to market a set of three stainless steel gobos intended to be used with gels of three different colors to appear as light passing through a stained glass window. I'm recalling these from back in the 1980's. At the same time Rosco offered another set of three stainless steel gobos with one intended to be used with primary green gel to give the appearance of a Christmas tree while the other two gobos appeared as two colors of decorations on the tree. This was long before high-temperature glass gobos and longer before the advent of LED sources.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Unfortunately, with the space I am working with lights and projections are not an option.

Pick up a roll of 36" wide Mylar from you local drafting supply shop. (It's used in CAD plotters.) It's frosted and will take colored marker or analine dyes. Draw your leading w/black marker or dye or use 1/4" black tape, then paint your colors between the lines. (Or paint your colors, then add the "leading.") The dyes are flexible and you can roll it up to store it. If you see a hot spot from your backlight, add another sheet behind the "stained glass" sheet--space a few inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back