Favorite Bass Drum Mic

soundman1024

I'm sure a lot of us will have opinions on our favorite bass drum mic, so I figured I would ask it. Post for single, and double mic favorites if you have both, as well as how you place them. Mine is a beta 91 and if I can have two I would add a D-112. I like to put the 91 about half way inside the hole in the front, on a pillow if there is one in there, and the 112 I like about an inch or 2 from the hole.

What are your favorite combinations?

My favorite kick mic is the Audix d6. Hardly ever feel the need to double mic with that. Sometimes if the band want a real clicky sound i`ll chuck an sennheiser md421 inside the drum aswell.

i love the D6, its great for most any kick. The Low End is so great, put a little compression with a gate at 12Hz and it sounds great for any rock or jass (18" and up head) Thats just me.

Don't actually have any of them at school, but the AKG d112 is the mic for bass drum. NQA. No Questions Asked. Stick an earthworks kickpad on it, and you have the ultimate air-moving combination for your subs.

Sorry but the AKG D112 is not all that! The D112 has been around for years and is an okay workhorse, but you may find that very few engineers will spec or be overly happy using one. There are many better kick mics out there to say D112 "no questions asked".

J

D6 here.... nothing else.... The D4's are nice for toms too....

Remember, it's not all about the mic. It is all about mic placement, compression and EQ. You must play around with where the mic is angled and positioned in order to find the sweet spot. Not to mention I haven't seen any high-school aged drummers that have a hole in their head to get a mic in there.

its easy to make a good mic sound even better with compresssion & EQ, but it's hard to make a crappy mic sound great with compression and EQ.

The food chain starts with your mic. A quality mic is the first step in getting good sound into your board.

back to what i said before.....D6 and people argee.Also i will agree with t remark about ,placement, compression and EQ.Very important...but what about those poor souls with a 24 channel and 3 band inline Eq's...your crap out of luck and the ladder doesn't apply. Also...you need to realy know how to do that stuff.not just half ass it."oh, i boosted the low end because it's a bass drum." Wha are you retarted? i'll pick this up some other time.

Yeah, the 3 band EQ on most boards just won't cut it for a good bass drum. I don't know if 2 mics would really help either. Usually I find that I don't need compression to get a good bass drum sound. I usually tend to find myself going for an ideal bass drum sound rather than the sound of the drum itself though. Compression helps with the snare, but most of the time the bass drum amplitude is fairly consistent with the drummers that I work with.

call me crazy but i have a thing for putting a shure KSM 27 in my kick drum at home for recording. needs a little EQ but it sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back