Favorite Chair

This may seem like a mundane topic, but with how much time my high school students spend in these chairs and how many complaints I get about back pain and inability to see, I am looking for input on your favorite control booth, stage management, and orchestra director chairs/stools. Brand? Traits? Things to avoid? I currently have two older Flexsteel height-adjustable rolling chairs with little or no back support and a basic wooden stool in each of our control booths. SM and ASM have basic vinyl seat and back rollers as well. Nobody is in love with their seat.

Herman Miller Aeron -- but you don't have the budget for it.
@Keith Duster and @sk8rsdad In the early 1990's IKEA had a castered chair you knelt in, it was EXTREMELY comfortable, had a lower back support, was quick to kneel into and quick to rise from. It was still comfortable even after 12 or 14 hour days and BEST OF ALL it was an absolute giggle watching the uninitiated casually trying to sit in it. Other manufacturers offered pricier models, the sound lad and I split the cost of the IKEA chair and sprung for the optional casters. LOVED IT!!!
Definitely NOT suitable for cello players.
EDIT: Google Images link added: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwiGs_aq0OrkAhViUN8KHa2bDPUQ4dUDCAg&uact=5
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
I can't recommend any particular brand but I've always found 'draughtsman's' chairs are good and comfortable for control rooms and SM/ASM positions as they give you a good perch over the audience/stage. These can even be quite good for follow spotting. But they are probably best without castors though as they can become quite top heavy with someone on it.

I can't recommend any particular brand but I've always found 'draughtsman's' chairs are good and comfortable for control rooms and SM/ASM positions as they give you a good perch over the audience/stage. These can even be quite good for follow spotting. But they are probably best without castors though as they can become quite top heavy with someone on it.
@AdamC Posting in full support. I toured as lead spot operator from Toronto, through Calgary, through SanFrancisco to Broadway's Shubert with an uncastered draughtsman's stool in my road box all the way. When I discovered some of the seats provided, I was glad I'd packed my own.
Toodleoo!
Ron (posting from one of the colonies) Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back