Favorite Gel Colors

I only use it occasionally and yes, I focus the light before I gel it, so I am not one that leans on it like a crutch. Other than that I do occasionally use R382 for midnight scenes and R339 for some very odd scenes (can't remember what show it was but I know I used the color)

I only use it occasionally and yes, I focus the light before I gel it, so I am not one that leans on it like a crutch. Other than that I do occasionally use R382 for midnight scenes and R339 for some very odd scenes (can't remember what show it was but I know I used the color)
Not saying you did...I just know too many people who do.

Howdy,

For warm washes I generally stick to the common: R02, R08 and the occasional R16
For cool I love R60 and L366
I also love a good surprise pink

My new favorite color, funny story. An ME I had on a gig late last year didn't like my color choice and snuck in G841 instead of the one I spec'd. Turns out I really like it for dark washes where moonlight needs to cut through.

I also use R24 Scarlet a lot and for the first time I used R3152 Urban Vapor which I am falling in love with.

Standard warm wash: If it's a comedy, I like R02; if it's a drama, I like R01.
Standard cool wash: Again, Comedy = R361; drama = R355
Diffusion: I typically focus the instrument instead and have used very few diffusion gels.
and other favorites: I try to work R39 and R99 into every show that I design (one show last summer, I was co-designing for Lucky Stiff and we couldn't agree on a gel color at first so we called the two channels we needed to gel "Colors and crap" (hence the use of a brown gel).
On the cyc, I really like using R124, R125, and R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back