Favorite Knife or Knife Brand

Ka-Bar makes some serious knives, but not exactly for everyday carry.
I love my Buck 110 Folding Hunter for that.

I've actually never felt the need to carry a knife other than the one that comes on the multi-tool or don't have the time to run to the bag of tools to get a box cutter. The need just doesn't seem to arrive. although I do tend to work more with the sound and lighting side.

Ka-Bar makes some serious knives, but not exactly for everyday carry.
I love my Buck 110 Folding Hunter for that.

You dont feel the need to be able to cut a dude's heart in half with an everyday carry knife? Oh. Me neither. I usually carry a CRKT EMT folder with a tanto blade and half serrations. Perfect for all kinds of general work, opens well, and safely locks. However, the question was what is your favorite knife, and for camping, hunting or assassination attempts, The Ka-Bar will serve you well. It can also cut tie line.

Victorinox Tinker, Black.
proxy.php

Ka Bar Dozer, Orange.
proxy.php

Case Medium Stockman, Brown.
proxy.php

Folding Utility Knives.
proxy.php

I want a few Benchmade, Kershaw, and Spyderco, just no funding.

Last edited:
I have a Gerber Paraframe 1 as my main knife clipped into the top of my pocket and a little Kershaw locking folder of some sort (really small but the sharpest knife I've owned) in the bottom of my pocket in addition to the two multi-tools I always carry (Leatherman ES4 and Charge TTI).

I've pretty much always had a medium-sized Gerber locking folder as my main knife.

I will say that I had a Klein Tool knife once and I loved it. Until the Kershaw that was the sharpest knife I owned. The tip broke so that's why I don't carry it any more. Probably about as sharp as the Kershaw but the tip broke so it is out of contention until I feel like dropping 40 bucks on a knife again.

I also have a Gerber Paraframe II, it was my primary for about a year until last month.
There's just something about it that annoyed me.
Nothing compares to a big solid piece of real American steel.

won't lie, I love ka-bar's as well, but thats partially because my need for knives is almost as bad as my need for flashlights, I just always want more. My two favorites at the moment,

I've got a black version of this
proxy.php

which will take care of most small cutting needs if I'm not carrying a multitool, and also love the folding utility knives for when I need a razor blade for something
proxy.php

Both cheap, both super handy.

I just want to be clear, I dont carry a KaBar onto a call. Its designed and tested for combat, CQB, and Survival. At a call, I never do any of those, so I dont carry one. However, I have shaved with one before, if you want to find out whats between your legs, get that guy to razor sharp and take your neck hair off. Anyhow, I like CRKT because its fairly inexpensive and pretty high quality, and SOG because its really high quality and Gunny approved! take your pick from their ranges of what meets your needs.

For production work--Spyderco... Carried one form or another of this brand of knife for over 15 years....from full serrated to half/half blade style...hooked or bird-beak blade to curved or flat...really durable sharp knives for production work. Tried many brands and varieties over the years as I collect knives too--but always come back to my Spyderco to do all the production jobs and tasks with ease.. I have used the Delica & Endura models religiously but also have the Civilian, Rescue, Police and para-military versions too..all are excellent. Pricey to buy...in the $80-$220+ range depending on the model....but a spyderco will last you and never fail..

One handed open & locking folder...holds its edge very well for a long time...easy to re-sharpen if it needs it and bring the edge back very quickly (provided you know how to sharpen a knife properly to begin with).. Cuts thru the thickest cable jackets (4/0 feeder, SOO jackets, mic cables, plenum cable etc), cuts carpet, trims gobos, cuts zip-ties of any thickness, cuts thru bunches of tieline or tape, goes thru boxes & cardboard, cuts rope of all styles & thicknesses including webbing...and just about anything else without effort...and with the metal clip on most models--it never breaks or snaps off--or falls out of the pocket if you end up upside down or are crawling around...it stays put til you pull it out. I never gig without at least one on my belt...a spyderco is my go-to knife.. I still have my very first knife from them I ever bought back in the mid 1990's and although some of the serrations have worn down from years of use and the very tiny tip broke off on some gig--its still sharp and a great durable knife and performs like it did when it was new. I tend to buy a new one or new style just for fun every 3-5 years it seems...but as long as I have one I am good. I have even taken these camping to carve Bow Drills, gut fish, spark fires, use on wood and other camp tasks--it performs great...

proxy.php

:: Spyderco ::

You can buy a cheap knife every few months that goes dull after one use or snaps or rusts...or get one that is built to last...I prefer to pony up the $$$ for the latter.
-w

Last edited:
I had a nice spring assisted Kershaw that I carried always. We are loading out one night, show guy asks to borrow my knife. I let him borrow it, walked away to handle something, he brings it back. The next day I open it and the end is snapped off and he never said anything. I bought another but a pro should never do that.

I miss my Benchmade that I lost during an out of Phantom.
proxy.php

I have other things that I need to spend money on these days other than a really nice replacement (darn kids), so I got a little Gerber which has worked out great.

I have a great little Gerber too. However it's been gathering dust on my dresser since my Leatherman Squirt P4 joined my key ring. The knife blade on the Squirt is tiny and a little lame but all the other tools more than make up for it.

Am I the only one that carries my knife and my multi-tool on me? I'm a lot more comfortable cutting things with my pocket knife than multi-tool.

Am I the only one that carries my knife and my multi-tool on me? I'm a lot more comfortable cutting things with my pocket knife than multi-tool.

2 knives/2 multitools, as I mentioned above. Gerber Paraframe 1: main knife. Kershaw D.W.O. Classic: secondary knife, this is the one I use when I need to use the tip of a knife for something. Leatherman Charge TTI: main multitool, great blades, great file, great pliers. Leatherman Squirt ES4, used for quick retermination of cables in the field, quick jobs in the shop, anything where I won't be doing much electrical this gets used. Nice little pair of wire strippers. But that's for the muti-tool discussion.

Wow wolf825 thank you for typing out my post.

Honestly I second everything he has to say...down to the carrying it for 15+ years.

Nope, I carry two knives and a Leatherman Kick. I will very occasionally use the knife on my Leatherman but I prefer not to if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back