Control/Dimming Favorite Lighting Console?

Which brand lighting console do you prefer?

• Total voters
yes, go the jands!!! i have an event sitting right next to me.. the most fauthful lighting desk I have ever used =)
comming a close second is the strand though ;) 2 posts ago i think maybe bds said that strand users live by them... this is so true! once you get comfortable with a strand and learn all the backdoors and shortcuts to the software they are fantastic... bearing in mind if you have a network in your theatre you can operate the desk from a pc anywhere in the theatre! screw a RCU.

Lester said:
Other boards that I don't really like are Colortrans. They seem somewhat reliable (emphasis on the word somewhat, because they seem very sensitive when it comes to power fluctuations.) But it seems like Colortran has been holding back in a sense because I have never really seen any major product development. I have heard good things about their fresnels. They need to catch up with the other companies if they want to be in the competition. The same goes for NSI/Leviton too. They have some good products out there, but have yet to come out with a really high-end lighting control desk.
... and are unlikely to. Both Colortran and NSI were smaller companies on the cutting edge of stage lighting until they were bought out by Leviton, a giant in the architectural lighting field. Volume and profit in stage lighting is much smaller than in architectural, so it seems Leviton is disinclined to invest a lot in new product development, being content to milk the existing "cash-cow" products for the most part. Their new DMX-512 "shoebox" dimmer pack is built in China and bears a striking resemblance, both in functionality and specifications, to one that American DJ has had on the market for a few years. Most of their new controller products appear to be primarily cosmetic upgrades of their old controller products. Needless to say, I'm not particularly impressed.

John

Leviton bought NSI but NSI as an upstart company but not having much in the way of real stage controllers bought Colortran before this Leviton buyout happened. In other words, what was set into motion was set in stone before Leviton had bought one out thus both now. Did I mention that if your electrical supply house has an account with Leviton they can get Colortran gel frames for you now?

In any case, Colortran has been a secondary compay for years now in once being owned by Strand, than Lee color filters, than NSI. Development within them has lagged behind for years now. Once NSI bought out Colortran at least I had hope that the upstart company in providing affordable light boards might be able to tap into the lineage of well designed ones and history. This might still happen. NSI being bought out by Leviton does not change this, it just adds dollars to the budget because Leviton was than able to come out with their own architectural controls that are DMX capable, and Colortran by way of NSI and NSI have a huge cash flow available to them now.

Were I an investing type person, Leviton would be my prime source given the budget and big guy ownership of an innovative company that also owns the experienced company of Colortran. Great things to rivel ETC and others I might expect in development given the pool of resources.

About a month ago, Leviton if I remember right got into an agreement with another even more large or more known manufacturer of gear. Could be Grand Ma but I don't remember specifically who it was beyond being an important partnership. This going to another company would tend to put back the need for any new developments on the NSI/Colortran side but also add to the wealth of knowledge in something big on the horizon.

In any case, just because NSI and by way of them the ancient company of Colortran have been eaten up by the Edison plug Goliath, I would not be much concerned that quality and R&D will no longer be possible. If anything, they now have the big bucks behind them to overtake the market in a few years.

As for built in China, lots of stuff is built there and lots of it beyond that is even the same gear with different names. Such is the nature of a lot of our business today. By the time Leviton/NSI/Colortran is ready to introduce the next Sensor rack, hopefully China products will rise to the level of Japan products at which point the workers will demand decent wages and it's all going to balance out again. I would not mind re-visiting these predictions in 10 years.

Most of you will not remember the days before Sony Walkmens when things made in Japan were for the most part stamped tin knockoff clones to Hot Wheels cars, much less their technology even in motercycles was sub par in coolness to that of Harley or other brands. I remember those days much less the days later when Japan was buying out the US ownership of companies. This I expect as a goal is the model for market share that China is following.

I'm sure Emphasis will only get better with all the new faster CPUs and such. Tried the demo and I'm hooked on WYSIWYG. PM me if you wanna donate some money for me to upgrade to Emphasis 3D server and replace old strand century lekos with s4's!

The School I do the purchasing for will have an ETC console (one of the small ones) as soon as I get to that part of the upgrades.

Reason beeing most of the local venues have ETC including any "my" kids are going to end up working in. Also if you know any ETC board you know any other one. I have never had a problem with any ETC console (well ther is the old one at the local touring house but then it still has a 720K floppy) It is still running shows though.

Currently I have a Strand MX (very small board) and I hate it. I also got a chance to use a few other Strand and they were ok, but a bit slow to respond.

NSI, now there is a can of worms. the MC7000 and MC7500 boards rock. The Inovator 600 and the MC24/48 (same guts and OS) are junk. I used both for over 2 years at 2 venues. The main problems I encountered were glitches in the software. There was one week where I did 8 updates (NSI was posting them that quick) because each update broke the board. I had random chanels come up and such. NSI was great to work with though, I just dont ever want to use one of there big boards again! one big catch I think still has not been fixed is if you hit enter it will capture every chanel and lock it. You have to go to black with the key pad to release it, then bring you faders back up. This was bad at the second venue because it was never used with a que stack, every thing was on submasters and many shows had lots of changes to be typed in during the performance (this was a concert hall) I could go on and on about that console but I will save that for a diferent rant.

There is also zero88 and there frog consoles. I think they are on par with the small NSI stuff, The one I have used has had no problems but it is a bit hard to use for my tast. this is with movers only.

Tom B

i prefer steadn but i have only used strand. i have used an etc but i didnt really use it so i dont really have anything to compare it too. my school and chruch both have strands

tjbaudio said:
The School I do the purchasing for will have an ETC console (one of the small ones) as soon as I get to that part of the upgrades.

Do not even consider the Acclaim console. Only ETC board that sux bad.

Radman said:
tjbaudio said:

Do not even consider the Acclaim console. Only ETC board that sux bad.

I had no idea they made such a board. Looking at the info on it I would say it looks like an NSI MC7000. It is too small for my needs. I am thinking about one of the Express consoles. eather a 125 or a 24/48
TJB

I'd vote for a Hog control board, but since it's not an option I won't.

Don't hate the Hog, hate the bacon!

I agree with Zac850, ETC is excellent for high school level theatre, or small community theatre, specifically for conventional fixtures, even though they are designed to be able to handle moving lights on a very limited basis. Though I have not moved up from the Express 48/96 I have been working on I started on a 36 channel ETC Idea board and it was very easy to move up to the Express. I have not yet had the opportunity to go play with it but I'm planning on going and helping a neighboring school with their board, a Colortran Innovator 48/96, essentially there equivalent of the Express 48/96. I've only been reading the manual so far but it seems to work very much like the Express, and seems even more capable when it comes to moving lights. I'll know more when I get to try it out.

Smatticus said:
Colortran Innovator 48/96, essentially there equivalent of the Express 48/96. I've only been reading the manual so far but it seems to work very much like the Express, and seems even more capable when it comes to moving lights. I'll know more when I get to try it out.

I have run both consoles and I will say they have a very diferent feel to them. Almost opposite in order of opperation. Unless they have fixed the bug watch out for the enter key when doing a show :? Yes the Innovator has lots of power for movers but at the cost of stability in opperation of conventionals. I will say that if you have any problems or questions call NSI/Collortran, there tech support is great!

TJB

Whats your favorite lighting console? wheather its just a certain brand or an actual model..what your favorite. As for me i have only had expirence useing a series 300 strand board @ my high school. Hopefully soon getting a ION, :grin:. So what your favorite?

Ive used two boards Expression 3 and Smartfade. I speak fluent Expression, and have to say its my favorite.

I've sat through EOS/ION training. I like it, but Ive never used it.

If you start this thread again, you can stick a poll in the thread, my suggestions would be the following contenders:
any other ones you guys would suggest go into the running? I'm sure there will a be heaps of consoles I've missed, but this was just a short list off the top of my head! And some are not used by many people here, so I didn't bother. Any other widely used consoles you can think of?
Nick

(This is the second time I've had to type this post, my computer messed up)
Out of consoles I've used, I do love the Strand 520. Haven't had a chance to play with anything like the ION or EOS.

Then again I still love the Strand Lightboard M, from back in the day where presets were still commonplace. We still use one at the Livery.

And I still like the Mantrix 2, a 4-scene preset, from before the magic 'go' button. The blyth festival still has theirs (The livery sold them theirs long ago, which they (actually me) used to keep theirs working). Sad. Not long ago they "upgraded" to an ancient ETC... I don't remember what it is very similar to the Smart Fade anyways... That place is rather pathetic, lol.

I used a Strand Mantrix MX here in grad school last year before our lighting overhaul. It was replaced by an ION :)

Our other console was the Strand LP 90. That was replaced with an EOS. Ironically, different companies, same designer.

Out of the boards I've used, the ION is my favorite by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back