Favorite Mic Stands

Dsmagnussen

Hey All!
I'm looking for your favorite mic stands, and why? Who makes them, how much, where to get them, tripods/solid?. I need to buy a few more, and I have had Onstage, and a couple of other makers, but I wanted to get your input on what you like.

Thank you all!!

Doug

Hey All!
I'm looking for your favorite mic stands, and why? Who makes them, how much, where to get them, tripods/solid?. I need to buy a few more, and I have had Onstage, and a couple of other makers, but I wanted to get your input on what you like.

Thank you all!!

Doug

It depends on what you are doing. If you don't need a classic iron base stand, or something special for location recording. I have tried many and keep coming back to K&M / AKG. They are well very built, incredibly solid, withstand abuse and they look good. Unfortunately, they are not light in weight and they are not inexpensive either.

K&M makes many different mic stands and adapters - worth taking a look at their site - https://products.k-m.de/us/

The stand I personally prefer is the K&M 210/9. The boom can be made very short to get in on tight sources, often use that for drum miking. However, they also have a one piece boom that is not adjustable, the 211 I think and that's less expensive if you don't need to get tight in on something. They have taller, weighted 'overhead' stands, lots more. I use their 3 smaller boom stand sizes as well, the smallest works great for kick drums, guitar amps, and certain theatrical situations.

I keep looking the holy grail of mic stands, but I have yet to find better than K&M. At the radio station, we have K&M stands close to 40 years old. They have battle scars but still work fine. The new ones are nearly identical and every bit as good. Too many brands are either frustrating to use or fall apart in a short time, or both. Buying cheaper stands won't save any money in the long run. My only knock on K&Ms is that they are heavy.

A few years ago, I bought a few boom stands of another brand. I can't remember the brand, but the stands all leaned slightly, right out of the box. The stage really looks weird when the stands are not plumb. I'll never do that again.

Last edited:
The stage really looks weird when the stands are not plumb. I'll never do that again.
@FMEng Don't worry, they probably won't last long.

( Edited as an example of editing a post dating back to July, 2017. Edit made December 1st. 2019.
Calling @TimMc )
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
H...where to get them

If you are located in the Midwest two good options are Sweetwater Sound and Full Compass. I find that phone call is always better, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised as to what they can on price.

I did some work at a theater that purchased a whole set made by one of the popular lower cost brands, after a few years the pressure fit ring and sleeve inside the extension mechanism was prone to coming out of the outer tube, the parts would get lost and then that stand is useless. The boom would sag no matter how much I tightened it. The lower cost models are fine to save a few bucks, and if the stands can be well cared for they can last.

I've heard these are also good -
http://latchlakemusic.com/stands/

Two things come to mind:
>The cheapest usually isn't the most economical
>buy once, cry once
If you want lots more to read take a look at this:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,144137.0.html
Short version, K&M and Atlas.
As far as tripod versus heavy base, in the words of Ivan Beaver of Danley, "it depends".
For touring, tripods are quicker and easier to transport. For a venue, where they can be stored without constantly screwing on the base, heavy base has advantages. For one thing it's cleaner looking and takes up a smaller footprint. You still can't beat the Atlas MS-25 triangle base for your star vocalists, and it's available in chrome and black.

EDIT: Friendly reminder, be aware of MAP pricing. Many companies have Minimum Advertised Price as part of their dealership policy. That is why it's always best to contact several vendors and ask for the best price especially if buying multiple items.

Last edited:
K&M last best. Ive heard good things about Atlas but don't see them in the wild around here.

K&M are more expensive than many you will see out there, but the others just don't last at all. Typically the cheapest brands don't even last a year I find.

Weighted base I use occasionally, they are best in certain situations. Tripod are the way to go for general use.

Telescoping Boom is generally the way to go. Straight boom can be a pain sometimes, and often don't look as clean. They are also more bulky in storage. If you pay the little bit extra for a telescoping boom, life is good.

Of course a few old fashioned straight stands with weighted bases are going to be requested mainly for lead vocals. I also use them for things like paddles (antennas).

Atlas weighted-base stands are fine. It's their booms that are mechanical nightmares. I've seen people put K&M booms on Atlas stands for a good combination.

Atlas weighted-base stands are fine. It's their booms that are mechanical nightmares. I've seen people put K&M booms on Atlas stands for a good combination.
I am willing to bet that the crappy 2-part cast pot metal thing that holds the swivel for the boom is the crux of the biscuit.

That's what I do. All my Tripods are K&M, all my weighted bases are Atlas with K&M Booms. For Orchestra pits I also heavily rely on K&M 240/5, 24030, and 258.

K&M 238 works well on a Manhasset or Wenger music stand for certain pit instruments, a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter is needed.

Can put a Shure A55m or A53m on it to shock mount (or any other shock mount).

Attachments

• KM238.jpg
    KM238.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I will echo K&M. Atlas for round base.
fullcompass and/or sweetwater , are both great to work with.

Any feedback on Hercules mic stands, compared to K&M and Atlas? I've used them for vocals and love them, but I would like to hear from someone who has used many different mic stand brands and what your opinions are on Hercules.

Any feedback on Hercules mic stands, compared to K&M and Atlas? I've used them for vocals and love them, but I would like to hear from someone who has used many different mic stand brands and what your opinions are on Hercules.

Only ran into them a few times, two of those times they were already broken. Can't really say more than that.

This is what I specify. Most schools I see have Atlas round base stands dating back to the 70's. The booms are what is usually bad. It is possible to destroy a K&M boom, but it is harder than the cheap competition.

What I wrote on the ProSoundWeb forum: Atlas round base stands, K-M for booms and most accessories.

We have K-M stands and booms that I bought with I started in audio 35 years ago. I've replaced boom clutch parts, locking knobs and the like, but the basic structures are still intact and functioning. Really, if you're in this for the long haul, buy once and cry once... or repeat the purchasing mistake every couple of years. It only takes a couple of replacement cycles to spend MORE than the tab for quality Atlas/K-M goods.

The wrong product at the 'right price' is still the wrong product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back