Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
I love my leatherman, just watch your fingers as the blade does not have a locking device,ouch!

You must have an old skool Leatherman then.

I was gifted a new Leatherman recently and was surprised at the locking feature.

(Has it been THAT long since my last one?)

My preference is Schrade. They went under in 2004, but you can still find their products pretty easily. The blades are quality (which is to be expected since schrade primarily made knives) and I really like having the tools on the outside of the handle, but on the wider side of the tool so they dont dig into your fingers when you're using the pliers.

the right multi-tool

i have read other posts about what brand multi-tool but i want advice on witch type i should buy. i go to a theater tech program at upper darby preforming arts center summer stage. i work in all departments but i try to do more in lighting and carpentry. i have used leathermans and gerbers but i don't know what type i should get. thank you for your help.

Re: the right multi-tool

I know I'm bucking the trend here, and probably a bit of a wet blanket, but....
Okay, I've been doing this for 24 years now and I gotta' say....
Electrician: [strike]Kline[/strike] Klein 8" C-wrench on your choice of lanyard and for the bonus round, one of those screwdrivers that you can flip this way and that way to get either Phillips or flathead.[strike]Kline[/strike] Klein makes a nice "10-in-1".
Carpenter: Shop should have the tools you need. Bonus round: bring your own tape measure, pencil. Super bonus round: bring your own screw-shooter.
After hours bonus round: bottle opener on your keychain.:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I'm using a Leatherman Wave that I bought maybe 10 years ago. The first time it went missing I bought a Gerber to replace it. Then I found my Leatherman right where I remembered loosing it 6 months later. I went back to the Leatherman and kept the Gerber as a spare. So whenever my leatherman would go off on vacation for a while and forget to invite me, the Gerber would come out to play. Of course right now the Gerber's on vacation somewhere, and just like that traitorous Leatherman it didn't invite me. What is it with these multi-tools running off and leaving their owners behind?:rolleyes:

Re: the right multi-tool

I know I'm bucking the trend here, and probably a bit of a wet blanket, but....
Okay, I've been doing this for 24 years now and I gotta' say....
Electrician: Kline 8" C-wrench on your choice of lanyard and for the bonus round, one of those screwdrivers that you can flip this way and that way to get either phillips or flathead. Kline makes a nice "10-in-1".
Carpenter: Shop should have the tools you need. Bonus round: bring your own tape measure, pencil. Super bonus round: bring your own screwshooter.
Afterhours bonus round: bottle opener on your keychain.:grin:

I have 3 of those Klein 10 in 1 screwdrivers. I buy a new one every year because they have nasty habit of growing legs and walking away. I'm pretty sure our audio guy has at least 2 of my missing screwdrivers. Of course, I could just be getting paranoid.

As for which multi-tool to buy, I've had good luck with both Leatherman and Gerber. Just get the most versatile tool you can find, and steer clear of the $10 knockoffs. They break way to easily.

quarterfront, with what do you cut tie-line? cdub260: I too have found it difficult to retain the Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver, and have switched to the house brand 4-in-1 at <Home Improvement Center of your choosing>, especially when lending. Likewise with my adjustable wrench. I use a Cooper Tools brand, but have at least one DollarStore variety for those attempting to avoid work by saying "I forgot my wrench," (who usually won't get called back).

Read a Followspot Operator the riot act once, when I gave him a sheet of gel and said "Cut this into four pieces and give one to each to tape on the front," and he said "Aren't you going to cut it for me? I don't have a knife. I didn't bring tools for a show call." He also was not included on the next party's guest list.http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/quarterfront.html

quarterfront, with what do you cut tie-line?
Read a Followspot Operator the riot act once, when I gave him a sheet of gel and said "Cut this into four pieces and give one to each to tape on the front,"

I cut tie line with a utility knife. We have a spool of tie line at the electrics table. We cut 3'-0" pieces. Odd size pieces are considered trash.

As for cutting gel with a hand knife.... No, use the paper cutter....

So quarterfront's opinion/vote is for no multi-tool at all. Carry an 8" Adj. Wrench and a Four-in-One screwdriver. If something needs to be cut, take it back to the shop where the knife is. I'll guess that's where the pliers are kept also.

Sounds less than efficient to me, but what do I know? I've only been in this business going on 40 years, and carrying a Leatherman for about the last 25. Before that it was a Swiss Army Knife--Super Tinker. I do miss the tweezers and toothpick on occasion.

Right now I'm using a Leatherman Wave that I bought maybe 10 years ago. The first time it went missing I bought a Gerber to replace it. Then I found my Leatherman right where I remembered loosing it 6 months later. I went back to the Leatherman and kept the Gerber as a spare. So whenever my leatherman would go off on vacation for a while and forget to invite me, the Gerber would come out to play. Of course right now the Gerber's on vacation somewhere, and just like that traitorous Leatherman it didn't invite me. What is it with these multi-tools running off and leaving their owners behind?:rolleyes:

I feel your pain, really I do. Somewhere along Alaska's Russian River is a proud new owner of an Apollo engraved Leatherman SQUIRT bearing my name. *sigh.

(Perhaps the hope of a cyber-savvy bear Googling my name as engraved on the tool. Hey, I can dream can't I?)

Last Thursday I was in Portland, Oregon and I stopped by the Leatherman Factory store. I had broken the file on my Squirt P4. I left it in the hands of the lady at the desk. Tuesday morning, only 5 days later, a brand new P4 arrived on my porch via UPS. :dance: They either repair or replace depending on the problems with the tool.

You can mail in your tool for repair:
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 20595
Portland, Or 97294-0595

By the way I love my Squirt P4, it's small enough to go with you everywhere on your key ring. Yet the combination of tools will handle most of your basic needs. If I'm doing serious work like crew on a show, strike, or hang, then I strap on my Wave, but the rest of the time my Squirt P4 usually does the trick. The Squirt would make a cool gift idea for the wife/girlfriend to have in their purse. Or a good one for a first tool for kids... the knife's small about 1.5". The only thing I would change is to put a blade lock on the knife.

I've always bee a fan of gerbers, starting as a Boy Scout where they were the tool of choice for our troop. I currently have one with oversized tools, and I love it. I'm also a huge fan of the screwdriver bit sets that come with some, with a "socket" that slips over the tool's flat-style phillips head.

My only regret with mine is that it came equipped with a wood saw rather than the incredibly handy saw coupler, which can be used to equip your tool with any jig saw blade whose shank has a hole in it that is under 3" long. While the wood saw is ferocious (can handle anything from a 1x4 with some elbow grease to very overcooked pizza) I would still prefer the ability to go from the stock RemGrit (all-purpose abrasive instead of teeth) blade to a specifically metal or wood blade if need be.

Leatherman Charge Ti for me!

I love my leatherman, just watch your fingers as the blade does not have a locking device,ouch!

The first Leatherman I had (I forget the model) didn't have locking blades either. Then someone gave me the original Wave for Christmas several years ago, and it does have locks on the blades. It's also my multi-purpose tool of choice. I have two or three different Victorinox multi-purpose tools (also received as gifts) and the Letherman Wave wins hands down.

I wear it on my belt, right next to my Mini-Maglite (2-AA cells) all the time. I'm never without them. This has lead to stares and behind-my-back laughs, as some of my day jobs have included working in dress shirt and tie in a cubicle.

Yep. Everyone laughs and pokes fun at me till they need my Leatherman or Mini-Mag. then all of a sudden I'm their best friend.....

Yep. Everyone laughs and pokes fun at me till they need my Leatherman or Mini-Mag. then all of a sudden I'm their best friend.....

Ain't it the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back