Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
Mm, I like gerber. It's mostly due to the same reasons as icewolf.

I used to be a Letherman person, then I was introduced to the Gerber. Gerber has a much better blade making history and their tools are much more robust IMO. Going back to the Leatherman always feels a little more flimsy in my hand than a Gerber. The scissors on Gerbers are much better, made by Fiskars with a much better spring than Letherman's "paperclip" type. The other thing I love about Gerbers is that you don't need to butterfly them to get at the tools

As far as the multi-tool goes, I have always been loyal to Leatherman, no particular reason other than it was the first one I was ever given when I started working in theatre.

Leatherman Classic is the one that's in my pocket all the time. There's not a single tool on it that I don't use, and it's nicely worked in. It gives my students pause when I open it like a butterfly knife . . . But that being said, if I'm wearing one on my hip for a call, I like the Gerber.

Moving from the theater out to the marching band field now....

As one who works with our local HS marching band, the leatherman worn on the hip is a must on contest Saturdays. Why? Heck, I don't know. Why do things ALWAYS break/loosen/fall apart/get stuck/etc on contest days but NEVER at rehearsal.... NEVER!

:wall:

A question when I get to those pearly gates I s'pose.

The one thing that has kept me using my leatherman, even though I own two gerbers, is the leather case. It has held up much better than the nylon cases and I'm too lazy to go and get a new case. But I do end up keeping a gerber knife on me as well, it's just so much better.

Moving from the theater out to the marching band field now....

As one who works with our local HS marching band, the leatherman worn on the hip is a must on contest Saturdays. Why? Heck, I don't know. Why do things ALWAYS break/loosen/fall apart/get stuck/etc on contest days but NEVER at rehearsal.... NEVER!

Haha, yeah... I have 6 years of marching band experience. Our high school band pulled interested students from the middle school band. I know all too well about contest days. Unfortunately wearing a multi-tool would ruin the uniform look.

As for owning a multi, I own a cheapo walmart brand. I am going to ask for a gerber of some variety for Christmas.

I started with a Classic in 1994 and by now I've got just about every variant of the Leatherman there is- hardest part is remembering which model has which features. My original Classic has been on two world tours and is on my belt as I write this.

The Leatherman "Classic" is the PST - Pocket Survival Tool.

proxy.php

I'm a BIG fan of the Leatherman Crunch. It has all of the same things as a classic Leatherman, but it instead of the needle nosed pliers, it has a pair of vice grips. I also carry a Kershaw Leek around. It's a really nice spring assisted 4 in. blade with a lifetime sharpness guarantee. I love it because I can easily open it one handed, but the spring is weak enough that if i forget to lock the safety, i don't have to worry about bumping into something and stabbing myself. Plus the fact that when the blade gets dull I just have to make a phone call and they send me a new blade.

I own a Gerber. I've never been able to get used to Leatherman. The model I own is the one with the interchangable ends. It comes with the pliers and needlenose w/ carbide cutters, and has cable cutters and a couple others available. It makes it a bit bigger than the typical ones because it doesn't retract or fold flat, but I love having both pliers and needlenose available whenever I need them. It is a nice sturdy tool.

All I have right now is a cheap Jeep branded multitool, but I'm looking at getting a leatherman soon. I love my multitool, and I use it all the time. The other day I installed a track lighting system using only my multitool. :)

I recently got a Leatherman Blast for my birthday and it is amazing. It's especially nice for those irritating stagepin connectors that I can't muscle apart or cutting tie-line. It eliminates yelling "DOES ANYONE HAVE A KNIFE?" in a school-ish environment. Also very good for whacking careless people across the head with. I loves mah Leatherman.

I used to be a Gerber man, but recently got a leatherman, which is glorious. I hade a gerber 400, before I got my Wave, so it wasn't quite a fair fight. But, I still regularly carry the Gerber since it is much lighter, fun to play with, relatively inexspensive, and all around fun. But my vote goes to Leatherman, since It is just so much stronger and had those good ol' outside blades.

Leatherman FTW

I love the Wave, great blade

Leatherman surge is pretty kickass

Last Thursday I was in Portland, Oregon and I stopped by the Leatherman Factory store. I had broken the file on my Squirt P4. I left it in the hands of the lady at the desk. Tuesday morning, only 5 days later, a brand new P4 arrived on my porch via UPS. :dance: They either repair or replace depending on the problems with the tool.

You can mail in your tool for repair:
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 20595
Portland, Or 97294-0595

Leatherman scores AGAIN!!! In the entry above I broke the file on my P4 Squirt last summer while doing something sort of dumb. A couple of weeks ago I broke the pliers when trying to use them for something that was a little too large for them to handle. I sent my broken P4 into Leatherman by mail and a little over a week later I've got a new one in my hands again.

These guys are the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back