Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
Just thought I'd put it here that Leatherman has just released their biggest and baddest, the Supertool 300

proxy.php

The Leatherman "Classic" is the PST - Pocket Survival Tool.

proxy.php

Do they still make this model? I've had this model in my pocket for years now, and it's starting to show its age (wire cutters blown out, small slot driver developing a a few bends, etc). I love the size of it and I use everything on it. Anyone still selling this exact model?

The PST is discontinued, but you have three options:

1) Look on ebay for a new or slightly used PST. There are a few on there now.

2) Upgrade to a current model. The best comparisons to the PST of the current line up are the Blast and Fuse.

3) Send it in to Leatherman as a warranty repair. Be sure to include a letter in the package detailing what you would like repaired as well as your affinity for your old PST. Leatherman has an excellent reputation for customer service and they should do their best to tune up your old PST.

I have a Gerber Compact Sport. It doesn't have many tools, but it gets me by fine. I accidentally cut a live wire once, which made a nice little grove in my wire cutters <_< (i was fine, though a little shook up).

Last edited:
I carry several multi-tools... All Gerber...

I have a pair of Compact Sport's... One Silver, one Black... That live in my toolbox... I always seem to end up hiring electricians that carry pocket knives instead of multi-tools... I'd much rather lend out a tethered multi-tool, than have a knife loose overhead.

And a Black FliK, that lives on my hip.

As an electrician, I much prefer being able to open my pliers single handed.

I've been using a Gerber for about 10 years now... after going through two Leatherman (broke one handle and the jaws of the other). I just find the Gerber has better tools on it, Fiskas scissors, Ledgendary Blade. I also have the two different Swiss Army tools, they are well built I just don't find them as practical. I'm am intrigued by the CRKT and SOG ones... I haven't has a chance to play with them yet.

Last edited:
cI'm extremely partial to the Leatherman Juice. The knife blade is on the outside, and extremely accessible, and it's got everything I need without any useless bells and whistles. The tool is a good size for my hand; I've tried out Footer's Gerber, and I always find it awkwardly cumbersome.

Plus, my Juice is easily stashed in any purse and in the pocket of even my tightest jeans. Don't judge.

Which model Juice; Xe6, Cs4, S2, or the C2?

I'm carrying a Gerber Radius these days.
proxy.php

Footer, you forgot the discontinued KF4.

I know there is a strong Gerber camp here but I'm decidedly a Leatherman fan.

I'm just gonna say I might own more multi's and knives than I care to casually admit.

Last edited:
[Q10:1 tools are passay now, Klein has the 11:1 tool now. Bought a few recently but don’t remember what one extra thing was added but it is the Sciznit.

Anyway I have now a McMaster Carr Bear Claw multi-tool with Tools for Stagecraft shief for it. Much more useful. Not locking blades which isn’t good but also the Klien utility kinfe on the same work belt. Decent enought slotted or Phillips tips, pliers are short and wire cutters are also short in not being great - blades are sharp but not locking but what I most often need is the wire sripper and wire gauging tool it has other multi tools don’t. I don’t carry about a wire stripper with me, this tool has a good wire sripper as a good advantage.

Various tools, smaller tip and cutter but wire stripper that’s useful to me. Not locking but sharp blades also.

Last edited:
I prefer Leatherman because they have a great warrenty and I have never had issue with them yet, plus made in USA.

Gerber is now made of lower quolity steel 440 and thus is not as derable.

btw you left our SOG in which I hear good things about but never have used one.

Leatherman Charge. Use it every day, lighter than my old Wave.

Personally I am not a fan of multi-tools, or as I call them: "do-nothing-well tools".

If I am just walking around I carry a Kershaw Blur pocket knife which I keep razor sharp and is a great tool that I use daily while remaining light weight and isn't a burden for me like a typical multi-tool is.

If I am on a job site I will take my tool bag which has a full compliment of tools including a Fluke 187-V multimeter and AC ammeter clamp.

When I am working on a jobsite I will stick the tools I require for a task in my back pocket, and if I don't have the right tool I'll go get what I need from my tool bag.

But I am a tool snob, so don't listen to me :p

Personally I am not a fan of multi-tools, or as I call them: "do-nothing-well tools".

If I am just walking around I carry a Kershaw Blur pocket knife which I keep razor sharp and is a great tool that I use daily while remaining light weight and isn't a burden for me like a typical multi-tool is.

If I am on a job site I will take my tool bag which has a full compliment of tools including a Fluke 187-V multimeter and AC ammeter clamp.

When I am working on a jobsite I will stick the tools I require for a task in my back pocket, and if I don't have the right tool I'll go get what I need from my tool bag.

But I am a tool snob, so don't listen to me :p

Clearly someone has not been in the "Oh crap im 50 feet off the ground and now i need a screwdriver I didnt think I would need" situation. :twisted:

Also, when handing a show load-in unless you intend to carry about six seperate tools in your pocket then a multi-tool is a lifesaver. Naturally if you can use the proper tool for the job then do it but in many cases it just doesn't work that way. I've seen guys say, I'm working props or carps so I don't need my C wrench. That will bite you everytime. Try to carry a good knife, C wrench, multi-tool and a small flashlight. Anything else the show guys will understand you aren't going to have in your pocket. Load-ins and loadouts are time sensitive and you can't afford to say I'll get the right tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back