Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
I have a gerber. I like it because it fits intuatively in my hand, and "feels" right. I had problems with my old leatherman because my small hands had troubble with keeping a grip on the pliers. It also is part green.

A second multi-tool I love is the CRKT guppie which is the onli multi-tool I've seen that has a wrench and not pliers. It also comes with 4 different screwdriver bits and an LED.

I just crossed the stage for my graduation with a leatherman wave on my belt and a flashlight in my pocket. That is right, I may have popped a breaker on a dimmer (my own fault), fixed it, walked across stage, got my certificate, then properly fixed the issue, then went back to the board.

Hi guys,

I've been using a leatherman charge TTi multitool for the last 3 or 4 years and it's been a really handy piece of kit. The tip of the serrated blade has a cutting hook that helps out no end, makes it safe to cut with risk of penetrating too deep, such as cutting open a box.

leatherman have such a clean fresh line of multitool, in the hand they feel positive tight and thoroughly high quality. Recently I bought a skeletool from this shop Multitool l Leatherman Tool l Skeletool l Leatherman Multi Tool such a smart little tool, this little pocket tool might not have as many functions but the design comes for a really good price and i can clip it on my jeans using the built in carabiner - then i wont loose it!

Just bought a SOG PowerAssist a few days ago... gotta say kudos to them its awesome everything i need is there, the cammed pliers are great, and it has really everything I need in the bucket. Although I am going to be ordering the wire strippers to replace the file... they wont replace my kleins but it may just come in handy in a pinch once or twice.

And I forgot to mention the V cutter cuts tie line all day long like butter

Just bought a SOG PowerAssist a few days ago... gotta say kudos to them its awesome everything i need is there, the cammed pliers are great, and it has really everything I need in the bucket. Although I am going to be ordering the wire strippers to replace the file... they wont replace my kleins but it may just come in handy in a pinch once or twice.

And I forgot to mention the V cutter cuts tie line all day long like butter

I just got a new SOG (the EOD version), and the V cutter is amazingly useful. Tie line is cut. The pliers are great too. Knife is a bit small, but nice and sharp.

A-ha!! Eat your heart out modern manufacturers. I have found the multi-tool that has stood the test of time!

I just bought a new Leatherman Charge TTi and I have to say that it is the best multi tool I have ever seen or owned for my uses, and I have owned 2 others and used dozens more. This thing is great - it has a phenomenal cutting hook as someone else mentioned (on the back of the serrated blade) that is perfect for cutting e-tape that is bundling cables, tie line, zip ties, and other things. The interchangeable bits are great, and the belt pouch that it comes with has a nice front part for the little bit holder to go in to. It also comes with several extra bits which is a plus for me. In addition, it has good wire and hard wire cutters, as well as a crimper that isn't half bad. The double sided file is nice, the saw is super-sharp, and the scissors are - as with all Leatherman scissors - pretty darn good for a tool of this type and size. The little reversible precision screwdriver is a nice addition - but I normally have a precision screwdriver set within reach if I'm working on something that needs it.

I did an extensive comparison of all of the major brands before buying this one - and compared probably over a hundred different models of full-size multi-tools. The Charge TTi is the one that I decided on, and after using it at work in a number of different scenarios, I can say that I am extremely pleased with my choice.

(If you're wondering where the Leatherman that I talked about on the first page of this thread went, it flew out of its poorly held together belt pouch as I was running down or up a hill - I don't know 'cause I only noticed later that it flew out. Couldn't find it. Replaced it this time with one that's even better.)

Last edited:
My favorite multi-tool, is a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, but I don't really look at as a multi tool, rather I look at it as a knife. Now, bear in mind that mine is a pretty bare bones swiss army knife (two blades, bottle opener/flat head screw driver, can opener, leather punch/awl, tweezers, tooth-pick, and in place of the corkscrew, a phillips driver), and that I was for many years a boy scout and I am still involved with boy scouts (probably why I look at swiss army knives as knives first, hardware stores second).

I had the Leatherman Wave for many years...then I lost it. sigh
The succesor to the wave is the Surge..the larger (and heavier) brother of the Wave. And I must say...I live and die by that thing, I LOVE it.I need new screwdriver inserts though. ALSO, can anyone tell me how to sharpen the serrated blade? Does Home Depot carry something that can sharpen serrated blades?

I have a Swiss Army Something (does it really matter). I like it because it's small enough to fit in a pocket or on a belt loop comfortably, but large enough to do everything I desire of it (really, who needs a knife large enough to take down a grizzly in their back pocket?) I also have a Chinese knock of Leatherman with pliers and a bit of ruler for the occasion when I need it, but it's often much to large to do a lot of good when I'm fifty feet in the air, upside down, in the dark.

... but it's often much to large to do a lot of good when I'm fifty feet in the air, upside down, in the dark.

And how often would one find you fifty feet in the air. Upside down. With a large knife. In the dark? (I hope that problem doesn't come about very much...)

My vote for favorite would be the SOG tools. I like how you don't have to struggle to get them open and one of the tools out of them.

Last edited:
I use the Leatherman Kick. It is small enough to carry but big enough to do what I need. I is also affordably priced.

I have been living with the original leatherman wave on my belt since the first few months it came out when I was still in Boy Scouts and my leatherman PST decided to end up on the bottom of a river during a canoe mishap with some large rocks and rapids. I am now three or four sheaths into the wave and it is never not on my belt, right next to the mini mag with LED retro. I also carry a kershaw semi serrated with speed safe as my pocket carry. Other multitools for other purposes? I carry a USMC semi serrated Ka-Bar, Streamlight survivor light, and a res-q-me in my truck (found I can do about anything roadside emergency wise short of taking a roof off with the jaws of life with these). In my fire gear I carry channel-locks new first responders multi-tool with cable cutters, spanner wrench, gas key, glass breaker, and another ka-bar for a blade and hammer.

I used to swear by leatherman, but about 3 years ago I picked up a gerber diesel and it has been fantastic. Broken in I can flick that open real easy. got a bunch of useful tools, a little saw blade which I actually sawed a 2x4 in a pinch with (never again though) big enough for what I need, small enough to not take up space. It's great.

My leatherman wave, wow what a great device. The last one I carried saved my life. Yes, my god if you are in lighting and rigging this tool will become fused to your body. highest quality blades that can be accessed from the outside quickly and with one hand.
Keep it with you at all times, and when all else fails and it is all you have use it!
In this industry our office (home) is rarely a place that allows having a firearm for safety. THE WAVE will stop the most extreme and determined assailant.

Alright..
So for a few years now I have been tempted to buy myself a Leatherman Crunch. Anyone got one? Vicegrips worth it on it?

Leatherman,
I still have my original one from 15+ years ago which I carried daily for over 5 years. My favorite part about it was it had been used so much I could literally open it as if it were a butterfly knife. Eventually it became so loose that I retired it. I then bought a Gerber and did not like the switchblade action. It was retired fairly quickly. After that it was the leatherman wave which I have owned two (one was stolen). I know carry the Skeletool on a daily bases because I can fit it into my pocket instead of on my hip. While it is not as fancy it has all of the basic necessaties: Knife, Pliers, wirecutters, screwdriver, and the most important the bottle opener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back