Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters

DrewE

If you went to a tool store and they sold a standalone version of a tool on your multitool, would you buy it?

Me neither.
Let's see; I already have standalone screwdrivers, can openers, pliers, wire cutters, chisels, files, utility knives....

Nope, I probably would not buy it, but only because I already have acceptably decent standalone tools of most of the ones on my multitool.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
If you went to a tool store and they sold a standalone version of a tool on your multitool, would you buy it?

Me neither.
Depends on the part of the tool
843221022129.jpg

I always wished Leatherman would make a forged pair of pliers based off of their versatile plier design. Looks like Knipex has done it.
Leatherman and Victorinox have rather fine wood saws on their tools as well.

Reactions: TimMc

TimMc

Premium Member
"rather fine wood saws"

... but how many carpenters and arborists have you seen working with that kind of saw?

:)
None, because they carry the full tools of their trade or craft as they use them constantly. The purpose of a multi tool is being able to deal with a thing that needs tightened, loosened, cut, turned, crushed or smacked "right freakin' now" and regular tools are inaccessible or inconvenient.

Crisp image

Lets face it. use the correct tool for the job. A multitool is a get out of jail item. They are a good bit of kit to use for that little random job but for best results and multiple repeats a proper tool made for the job will be better and less frustrating. I bet we have all held a nut with a pair of pliers instead of going to get a spanner and then rounding off the said nut only to make more work for ourselves. Multitools are great and I have one in my pocket everyday for those incidental jobs. I also have a Philips and flat blade screwdriver in my pocket at work too.

Kelite

Premium Member
This rather amusing off-brand tool has saved my bacon a time or two, which is why it resides within a road case of cable and misc. lighting items-

Attachments

ndp

Fun Director
Premium Member
Leatherman Free is the best I've tried, came out a year or two back. I carried an OG Wave, then a Wingman, and then got the Free P2 in the summer of 2019. The magnetic latching tech is awesome, can open the unit one-handed. The only thing I miss from the Wingman is the spring-loaded pliers, but lacking them isn't exactly earth-shattering.

I love having nice high-quality tools if I'm going to sit down and do a repair or something, but I use my Leatherman several dozen times a day at this point. It's mighty convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread