Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
I take lists like this with a BIG grain of salt. Leatherman has so much more exposure in retail stores, so that's all that a lot of people see and buy.

Good point techieman33, the marketing aspect has much to do it seems with consumer opinion. Multi-tools are no exception.

Alright oldtimers- do you remember when there were no multi-tools? The back pocket / tool bag / pouch had one of everything in it because there was no other choice? I'm thankful we have the wide variety of these handy devices, and I DO remember when... ;)

I still prefer a tool pouch for most work. A screwdriver is generally a better option than the one on a multi-tool, as are regular pliers. Granted, like you said, I do enjoy having these handy tools when I don't feel like carrying a bunch of tools or I know I won't be doing a lot of repairs.

I have a leatherman "rebar" at the moment. It's alright, but I miss my Gerber Flik. Got stolen off of a 12ft ladder a month ago. Good thing about the Rebar is the cutters though.. It cuts aircraft cable..

I take lists like this with a BIG grain of salt. Leatherman has so much more exposure in retail stores, so that's all that a lot of people see and buy.
I like to think I am informed and not the subject of good advertising. I still prefer Leatherman over Gerber, but I also prefer one with less attachments or implements. I want pliers,phillips and straight screwdrivers, blade. Anything else makes it heavy. I don't need a saw, a bottle opener, or wine opener. I don't drink wine and I can open bottles with anything handy, including the side of the tool, almost any blade on it, a bic lighter, hammer, stapler.........

Leatherman is absolutely AMAZING about their repair/replacement warranty. There are absolutely no problems. If there's something wrong, they will fix it or give you a new one. Just send it in to them. Done. Even if there is a "better brand" out there, it's highly unlikely that they would beat Leatherman's service. Thus it's a no brainer.

Leatherman is absolutely AMAZING about their repair/replacement warranty. There are absolutely no problems. If there's something wrong, they will fix it or give you a new one. Just send it in to them. Done. Even if there is a "better brand" out there, it's highly unlikely that they would beat Leatherman's service. Thus it's a no brainer.
Of course I usually lose the dang thing before I break it. That or my sons do.

I carry one of the mini-leatherman's with a tiny set of pliers on my key ring. It's amazing how often I use it... often for the wrong purpose. I broke the nail file once and I broke one off the plier jaws off. Both times they replaced it no questions asked.

I purchased a 'made in the USA' Craftsman multi-tool a number of years ago, and while old it was in great shape. A short while later, a student borrowed (doh!) it and attempted to torque a nut from a seized bolt and promptly made it a single jaw device. :(
But wait- the story doesn't end there! The friendly Sears customer sales rep walked me to the multi-tool area and had me pick out a name brand multi-tool (non-Sears, as I believe they no longer private label these items).
Service after the sale?

Yep!

I'm actually kind of divided on this one; I've had a Swiss Army Knife (one of the middle sized models) since I was a kid and I've always loved it, but I'd never carry it when I'm working. My Leatherman Wave is my go-to tool any time I'm in a theatre (or anywhere else in life), but I find there's a usefulness to the ambiguity of the Victorinox tools - I keep discovering new uses for bits like the awl, and I generally find it more useful when I'm camping or tinkering with things. For getting the bleeding obvious done, though, (screws, cutting wire, etc.), give me the Leatherman any day.

In short: I'm keeping both of them.

So little love for the SOG! I've had my Power Assist for 2 years now and love it.

The primary features I enjoy are the exterior blades, the compound leverage, and the ease of opening it.

I have only seen one other LX have one in the past 2 years and it makes me sad. Especially because everyone who sees or uses my tool rather likes it. I think that SOG just isn't as large of a name as Leatherman, so when a lot of us go out to buy tools, we don't do much shopping for other products, only those we've heard of.

So little love for the SOG! I've had my Power Assist for 2 years now and love it.

The primary features I enjoy are the exterior blades, the compound leverage, and the ease of opening it.

I have only seen one other LX have one in the past 2 years and it makes me sad. Especially because everyone who sees or uses my tool rather likes it. I think that SOG just isn't as large of a name as Leatherman, so when a lot of us go out to buy tools, we don't do much shopping for other products, only those we've heard of.

It's not as readily available in stores, and most will just get what they can find locally. If your an electrician the wire stripper add on is a must have.

I've carried a SOG Pocket Power Pliers as my main multi for over 3 years now. The implements aren't nearly as good as Leatherman, but that compound leverage is just the best.

That V-blade looks very similar to a gut hook, just slightly modified. I use the exceptionally sharp gut hook on my Leatherman to cut E-Tape wrapped around cables, tie line, zip ties, sometimes cable jackets, and all sorts of other things where I want to cut only what's on the outside and not what's under it. Works phenomenally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back