Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
If you went to a tool store and they sold a standalone version of a tool on your multitool, would you buy it?

Me neither.
Let's see; I already have standalone screwdrivers, can openers, pliers, wire cutters, chisels, files, utility knives....

Nope, I probably would not buy it, but only because I already have acceptably decent standalone tools of most of the ones on my multitool.

If you went to a tool store and they sold a standalone version of a tool on your multitool, would you buy it?

Me neither.

Depends on the part of the tool
843221022129.jpg

I always wished Leatherman would make a forged pair of pliers based off of their versatile plier design. Looks like Knipex has done it.
Leatherman and Victorinox have rather fine wood saws on their tools as well.

"rather fine wood saws"

... but how many carpenters and arborists have you seen working with that kind of saw?

:)
None, because they carry the full tools of their trade or craft as they use them constantly. The purpose of a multi tool is being able to deal with a thing that needs tightened, loosened, cut, turned, crushed or smacked "right freakin' now" and regular tools are inaccessible or inconvenient.

Lets face it. use the correct tool for the job. A multitool is a get out of jail item. They are a good bit of kit to use for that little random job but for best results and multiple repeats a proper tool made for the job will be better and less frustrating. I bet we have all held a nut with a pair of pliers instead of going to get a spanner and then rounding off the said nut only to make more work for ourselves. Multitools are great and I have one in my pocket everyday for those incidental jobs. I also have a Philips and flat blade screwdriver in my pocket at work too.

This rather amusing off-brand tool has saved my bacon a time or two, which is why it resides within a road case of cable and misc. lighting items-

Attachments

• Multi-tool.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 42
Leatherman Free is the best I've tried, came out a year or two back. I carried an OG Wave, then a Wingman, and then got the Free P2 in the summer of 2019. The magnetic latching tech is awesome, can open the unit one-handed. The only thing I miss from the Wingman is the spring-loaded pliers, but lacking them isn't exactly earth-shattering.

I love having nice high-quality tools if I'm going to sit down and do a repair or something, but I use my Leatherman several dozen times a day at this point. It's mighty convenient.

I have a leatherman skeletool. I really like how lightweight and compact it is. And I work primarily in my theatre space, so I'm never far from other tools if required.

Before I had a Gerber Diesel which I loved to death in my freelance days, but I just found over time that I don't really have much need for something so heavy on me most of the time.

Going to bump this thread and ask which multitool in 2024 is the most preferred.

And GO!

The Leatherman ARC is probably the king right now. It's just really expensive, partially thanks to the magnacut steel they used for the knife blade. I've been considering buying one, selling the knife blade on ebay, and replacing it with one of the 3rd party scalpel holders since I prefer using a separate pocket knife.

My thing is, they are both so well made that I'm still using the ones I bought in the 90's

These days, I have two full sets of tools at home and work and a 40# Klien backpack for as what's supplemented in the van tool box for installs. The multi-tool or proper tool for any use is normally a few feet or ladder away. My leathermens are resorted to the car glove compartments and useful as always sharp. I do have one, the above Bear Claw with it's wire strippers in my ready pack, but rarely use it.

I normally carry on me on a site survey, the ready pacik... cell phone as supplemented by a small LED light - none I like so far in too easy to fall off my belt, and also easy to fall off...

LUFKIN® L1116B-02 SHOCKFORCE NITE EYE G1 TAPE MEASURE, 16 FT L BLADE X 1 3/16 IN W BLADE.​

This is a cool tape measure, if only it were magnetic..​

Day to day, I used to do tool belt in 1999 and I see ambitious workers with such a tool holsters - though they don't have Linsemen's pliers and tape measures I did.. They have their work provided... I don't know 37 in one multi-screw driver amongst other tools including a C-Wrench of some size which is a good thing... but of quality concepts... I have a work provided multi-tool at home which is useful to replace a battery in something, but if I were to use it all day, such a plastic handle would cause blisters on my calasis of tool gripping hands....

These days I walk about the shop with a Klien #44131 folding utility knife. I have finally solved the main problem with it... This knife with it's weak belt clip, needs to be clipped to a pocket and within it. Otherwise... believe I'm up to seven of them returned for replacement already due to that belt clip failing. Bad design overall, I even tried to rivet or epoxy it without good results.. and also had to come up in inventing spanner wrenches to tighten it's pivot screws. No problems overall in the smallest knive with replacable blades. I like the fold out swith blade action, and easy fold down. I have tried most other brands of such a knife and this is the best... once dependable.

Next every day is my work ID pass, knife, wallet, Sharpee and brass Parker pen. I do the heavy brass bold tipped Parker pen, because it's heavy. It's bold and normally useful... It's ink inserts fail at times, but the weight of the pen often helps, in staying in my pocket. And the keys to various cages my work badge don't open. Assuming I forgot my phone.

I no longer have any multi-tools in active use.

Last edited:
Multi tools are kind of obsolete these days, unless the Bear Claw with it's Philips and wire strippers gets a T-8 driver and useful pliers/wrench jaws.

The #2 Phillips screwdriver tip is useful, but more also needed is the Torx T-8 for a Neutrik True 1 connector. And you still need the slotted screw drivers including a 1/8" and smaller tips for doing Pheonix connectors and various ETC push down terminals. Etc. Etc. in tools you need with you if going up to the grid. Including flash light, C-Wrench (hopefully insulated) and a multitude of testers.

Multi tools are useful in limited ways these days in troubleshooting or servicing what's wrong. 15-20 years ago, there were some very innovative designes and concepts... but I think in general, it's like catching up to the 90's in what is stylish as a conversation about what cool tool you have... now obsolete in usefulness.

Just saying tool back pack... much better conversation than multi-tool or flashlight. What to equip it with it...

Just something to look into or concept for next topic. Tool bag, kind of like the 18v drill in obsolete, now doing the 20v backpack.... And no, while I bought one for my Wife, I do not recommend the DeWalt backpack.... Klien.

Last edited:
This has been my favorite multi tool these past few years.

Attachments

• IMG_8508.jpeg
    IMG_8508.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 18
A few years out of undergrad, woo that was a while ago, I lost my multi tool as most people do at some point. At that time I decided to just buy a pelican case and put all my tools in it. At which point instead of using a multi tool I just had a case full of the tools I would actually need. I would always lose multi tools, never lost my pelican and the tools inside it.

Anyone else besides me ever abandoned the multi tool and go the rolling pelican case full of tools route?

Anyone else besides me ever abandoned the multi tool and go the rolling pelican case full of tools route?

I’ve done the same, but on a larger scale. When I started ERS I invested in Milwaukee pack out units. Now I build a work box for each days job site by selecting and stacking what I need based on the job. Then again, I also got a F150 to carry all the pack outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back