Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
Just to get an idea which brand Multi-tool (not model) you prefer....

Gerber
Leatherman
SOG
Victorinox
Other

And why?

I said Leatherman because it's what I know and what I own. However, there are a few SOG and Gerber models I'd like to get to know.

Also, you left SOG out of your poll, but its in your post.

Last edited:
Victorinox Swiss Army Champ

More tools then a Wave or about any other.

Things the Wave doesn't do:

- Pin, Tweezers and magnifying glass, to remove hemp and wood splinters

- Tiny little pen, good for writting tiny little notes to self.

- Other things.

No really, I have a Wave, had a SOG, but always go to the Champ first. Decent knife blades, assorted screwdrivers - including the best phillips head around, best scissors on a multi that I've ever used. Really smalll screwdiver that fits XLR connectors - thus the squeeks are always borrowing my knife.

Been carrying Swiss Army knives for decades.

Steve B.

I had a classic leatherman until someone nicked it last year I've replaced it with a Blaze but do miss my classic. I too always carry a Swiss army knife.

I'm a leatherman man. Dont' like the look or feel of a Swiss Army, and I've never experienced a Gerber but i've heard that they aren't as good. I keep a (leatherman) Squirt on my keychain pretty much all the time, and then I wear my Wave on my belt for pretty much all tech. Gee-reat, though I think I might have the serrated blade on my Wave professionally sharpened, I don't want to screw it up.

Leatherman. I love my black wave. So much so that I have one on my hip, one in my bag, one in my truck, and one in my car. Most used tool on it is probably the bottle opener. Love the tweaker, and have the bit set next to it on my belt for every screw driver I will ever need.

I used to be a Letherman person, then I was introduced to the Gerber. Gerber has a much better blade making history and their tools are much more robust IMO. Going back to the Leatherman always feels a little more flimsy in my hand than a Gerber. The scissors on Gerbers are much better, made by Fiskars with a much better spring than Letherman's "paperclip" type. The other thing I love about Gerbers is that you don't need to butterfly them to get at the tools.

Just my opinion and $0.02

I always go for Gerber when it comes to blades, but I really like my Leatherman. It's nice, it's much larger than other multi-tools (I actually picked it out because of this), and the phillips screwdriver on it is second to none. However, I will also always have my Gerber single-blade lockback knife in the same pocket as my leatherman. I use both on a daily basis.

I've carried a Victorinox Swiss Army Tool for about 8 years now, I used to only wear it while working / at tech, but in the last few years have taken to just wearing it on my belt at all times. I've found it to be wonderfully sturdy, and mostly I do not have to open up the pliers to get at other tools - everything is accessible from the outside.

Clark

Currently as we speak I have a Gerber one hand open (i know the model but thats not the topic here) multi tool and a Gerber pocket knife on me. The only time I'm not carrying them is when I'm asleep or going to a place were I can't (airport, court house, etc...). I LOVE the one hand open it makes the tool 100% usable everywhere which is important to me because I tend to find myself in places where I need one hand to do something else other than to get the proper tool out. Yes a "well trained" Leatherman can do that say thing but that takes time.

On the other hand I bought this one because of ease and price. There are models of Victorinox multi tools that have all the tools excepts the pliers accessible with out opening the tool itself. Several Leatherman model's have the 4 main blades available without opening the tool, and I think Gerber has that option too. That is an option that at the time of purchase might not seem huge but you will really notice and come to like after a while.

Carried a Victorinox for a while, loved it, cried a little on the inside when I lost it. That's what I get for carrying it in my backpack and not on my belt. I've actually never heard of SOG before now, Googles them, went to their site, Looks like they make pretty good stuff I can see two multi tools that I would conside carrying.

I have a Gerber Suspension. Titanium Carbide, one hand open, full bit set, the list goes on. I love it.

Just recently got a brand new Leatherman Core. PERFECT for what I do. I've always been a Leatherman, if you will... Not a Gerber baby. Haha.

I've had Waves, Squirts (I also have a Squirt E4- a brilliant little tool) all sorts of older Leathermen. I love them, and will always stick with them. The only reason I get new ones is because I lose them, not because they break.

People at my school are always like but Gerbers are so cool with the one handed opening... And I just couldn't care less about that. If that is the only reason someone can come up with (it's the only gerber vs leatherman defense I've eve heard) then Leatherman is the clear choice in my mind.
I also prefer the way the tools are layed out in Leathermen... Anyway, it's my personal choice. :) P.S. I really don't like the idea of that one handed flicking open motion- I often work in the air (duh) and I just don't like the idea of ficking my wrist with a tool in it while I am 20 feet in the air. That just seems irresponsible and dangerous to me and to the people below me. Another reason I'm not a fan of that opening system. (That and it's very difficult to do it with 2 hands, so if you do want to avoid the flicking it open with one hand, it's hard to do)

Anyway, not that's I've written a book.. :p

To start off... a SOG tool once saved my life.

I would have never made it out of a potentially lethal snake bite situation if I wasn't carrying the SOG tool that a friend gave me.

That being said, I prefer my Gerber. The pliers are the tool I use most, so I want to be able to flick them out fast. I combine this with a CRKT knife and I have almost everything I need.

I still feel a bit bad about not wearing the tool that saved my life. :)

I have owned both Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools. I think I had the Gerber first and then got a Leatherman Wave (gen1) when a friend got one and I got to play with it. I liked the full-size external lockback tools. I went back to my Gerber after I basically TOTALED the wave (broken needlenose pliar, every screwdriver other than phillips broken/chipped, cutters mushroomed, scissors dull, knives re-sharpened multiple times, knife points gone, diamond grit on file completely gone, I mean totaled). I came to like the fact that you could flick the pliers out like a switchblade and got really good at that. Then my gerber was stolen and I went back to the totaled leatherman which has worked ok ever since. Sending it in for warranty is on my list of things to do but it's hard to be without a multi. I also have carried a Leatherman micra for a long time and have had 3 of them - mostly for the little tweaker screwdriver.

I had a leatherman wave for 5 years, but it disappeared on a hunting trip. Later that year i got the new, re-vamped version of the wave. I don't like it nearly as much. when closed, the blades located on the outside have sharper ridges, making it less comfortable on the hand. I still say leatherman makes the best product though. Of course, its all personal opinion

Hey CB, did you know there is a

multitool.org?

They even have a multitool forum that's worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back