Favorite strippers for ribbon cable/rainbow wire?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Anyone have a recommendation on a good tool to strip miles of 5 conductor ribbon cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

I couldn't resist.

Honestly for ribbon cable it's hard to find a good pair. Personally I like the pinch n peel but they don't make them wide enough so it gets pretty daunting double cutting. Plus if you mess up you gotta cut off the section and start over again.

Reading around there is a few homemade methods involving making a metal sheet and soldering iron.

Now If your doing long strips just utility knife and normal strippers but I feel that's not the case.

to "strip" or to completely remove the jacket/insulation for scrap? Two very different problems.

Didn't think of that, but when I was in scrapping we just had a 500g drum always burning to get everything off.

To set the record, I did scrapping between theatre jobs. Honestly it was good money, and the hours were great. Got to pick through 5 acres of someone's property scrapping hordes of stuff. Found al sorts of cool things and nick nacks. We were basically American Pickers on steroids.

. Although to be frank, I prefer crimp style connectors for ribbon cable rather than having to strip them.

Unfortunately that's not an option at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A simple sharp pair of cutters as is used in electronic service: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TECHSPRAY-170LX-/22-9135
When I built my board I used a ton of 24 conductor ribbon. It was very easy to strip 6 or more conductors at a time. Just use them flat-blade out and notch and pull. Got a clean strip every time (although there is a learning curve as with everything.) Sometimes, the simple answer is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back