Favorite type of show

What type of show is your favorite to design and rin lights for?

• Total voters
Nice work Mayhem... that was like a 4 for 1 deal :p

Or as you might prefer... Like buying windows and getting office free hahaha

I've got to echo something Ship said. I've designed a lot of lights for all different types of shows. What's truly great is when you get that one special moment to look exactly as you pictured it in your mind. It may not be the most important moment in the show but it's the one that you had a clear visual image of from the first moment you thought about the show. Sometimes everything about it just comes together right and the audience is sharing the experience of your artistic creation. That's an amazing feeling. The type of show doesn't matter, it's the fact that you created art in your head months ago and now you have brought it to life and briefly shared it with everyone in the room.

I've never done lighting for an actual concert, but for talent shows, I have talked with bands who are doing songs and planned it all out, so I would love doing that for a full show.

I'd say concerts are my favourite at the moment, though I do like the intricacies of lighting dance shows!

I only really enjoy the concerts when I've had time to talk to the band/band manager and gone through things. I like to get feedback from the performers when I'm designing a light show. That's especially important for the more theatre and drama based shows.

Timmy P

Timmyp said:
I like to get feedback from the performers when I'm designing a light show. That's especially important for the more theatre and drama based shows.

Timmy P

The performer on stage cannot see much of what they look like other than being blinded by the light. A certain level of acceptance and notice by them is nice but what the show looks like to those they present to from the audience might be a better overall critique or pat on the back. This design is for the audience not for the performers in other than making them look good. The talent can't see if they look good on stage from the audience.

Nice for positive feedback but in designing a show you might center what feedback you are looking back less from the performers and more from those viewing them.

ship said:
The performer on stage cannot see much of what they look like other than being blinded by the light.
I would assume he is talking more about in the planning stages.

I have to go with Ship here. My favorite shows to design are those where there is ample time to prepare. I don't mind three months of production meetings if it means that the two weeks of the show's run are done well. Theatre is a collaborative art and while I can do a lot of cool things on my own, there is nothing like a show where the audience leaves and they're not quite able to put their finger on what it was about the show, except that the show had "it." Being an artist is more about the planning and implimentation of a design, a well thought out and rehearsed performance, than a thrown together show. There is something to be said about the ability to pull something off in a pinch, but trust me once you start trying to make a living off of your designs, employers like the feeling that you have spent a considerable amount of time on their project. But hey, this is just my opinion.

i would have to say that talent shows are my fav cuz well i get more freedom on lights and we also build amazing drum risers and amazing scenery it is the best show we put on most of the time with the exeption of last year we did jesuse chirst super star the music and we had the full catwalk and moving bridge it was our best set most likly ever and to top it all off we are just high schools

Personnally though, i love musicals or talent show type things. Im used to working with bands more and stuff, so i like to do the shows where your working with music on sound....better yet when u get to play once or twice too

I like talent shows. I have the most freedom with them and it's fun to run lights along with the music. We don't have automated anything so all the changes are chases and submasters. It makes it more interesting.

Nobody likes comedy? I should have put dance and opera up too (and spelled 'run' right!).

Radman said:
Nobody likes comedy? I should have put dance and opera up too (and spelled 'run' right!).
I can belive that, I mean lighting wise they tend to be fairly simple.

Pie4Weebl said:
I can belive that, I mean lighting wise they tend to be fairly simple.
I just did a comedy (actually, it was a comedic opera [no dance though]) and yes, it was verry simple. Granted we had limited equipment, but still... I don't think I would have added much to enhance the comedy part.

I don't know why i like musicals so much. They are great to run tech for. The coolest musical in my opinion has to be "Little shop of Horrors" it is a great show because you can use so many cool lighting effects in a single show from Cyc lights to Gobos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back