FCC affirms whitespace decision over mfr. objections

Does anything else use the same spectrum that wireless mics use besides TV?
Maybe the FCC doesn't see the need since they're only being approached by 2 companies who, to them, are small frys. But if Motorola and whoever-else-makes-wireless-things lumped in, they might listen.

The primary issue - in the top 10-15 markets there is not enough RF spectrum < 1gHz to accommodate all needs and desires. UHF 14-17 are reserved in some markets for land mobile and law enforcement/first responder use already.

Why the white space devices? They've been so long in coming that most of us forgot about them, but they're insidious when it comes to how they operate and, Stephen, Motorola makes some of them... Congress, in its infinite wisdom, a couple decades ago ordered the FCC to maximize the use (revenue for the US Treasury and the corporate interests that REALLY make the $$$ on these services) of RF spectrum and to issue 10 year licenses to the successful applicants. This is why the first DTV conversion (and subsequent re-alignment of broadcast frequencies) and the more recent vacating of the 600mHz UHF spectrum. So Verizon, T Mobile, ATT, and their supporting vendors and content suppliers could make it possible to watch Netflix on your phone, anywhere, any time. None of those interests give a rat's ass about the resulting wireless mic issues, and ironically their content creators are protected as wireless mic users.

For those who run more than a few wireless mics/IEMs, consider a Part 74 license.

Edit ps: broadcast TV viewership is way, way down and has been trending that way for 40 years, but accelerated in the last 15 or so as broadband data became more widely available. In all but the most congested urban areas the UHF TV spectrum represented a vast and empty swath of real estate. Ironically, the new use of that spectrum denies what it purports to enhance - connectivity and communications - to all but corporate interests.

Last edited:
Since we're talking spectrum, what's up with VHF?
For a while there, you could buy a Shure QLXD in VHF. I'm assuming they were using the digital tech to somehow reduce the interference with the larger wavelengths, but I assumed Shure made it for some specific usecase and didn't share that with the public.

Since we're talking spectrum, what's up with VHF?
For a while there, you could buy a Shure QLXD in VHF. I'm assuming they were using the digital tech to somehow reduce the interference with the larger wavelengths, but I assumed Shure made it for some specific usecase and didn't share that with the public.
Unless they were EOL'd, I think Shure is making VHF wireless mics but not certain in what model line(s).

The website says VHF is available for ULX-D and QLX-D. Maybe supply or licensing limits availability.

VHF is a very viable option, because the TV stations have vacated a lot of channels there. Old, analog VHF systems tended to be shakey, but digital modulation should end those worries. Kudos to Shure for making some products for that band. The only real downside is that the antennas are longer.

Part 74 licenses are available to some. As a broadcaster, let me say that you had better be licensed to operate there. Most broadcasters would file a complaint about unlicensed operation.

VHF is a very viable option, because the TV stations have vacated a lot of channels there. Old, analog VHF systems tended to be shakey, but digital modulation should end those worries. Kudos to Shure for making some products for that band. The only real downside is that the antennas are longer.

Part 74 licenses are available to some. As a broadcaster, let me say that you had better be licensed to operate there. Most broadcasters would file a complaint about unlicensed operation.
The real complainers for out-of-band use (old 600-800mHz) will be T Mobile, ATT, American Tower, Sprint, and other deep-pocket licensees and entities running white space devices.

The interference with TV broadcast that one can create with 20mW-30mW of RF is fairly minimal. Unless de-mod to listenable audio, it's unlikely that transient interference would be located. Repeated or routine use would be another matter, as would using transmitters with IFB-level RF and high gain antennae.

Genuine "oh crap" moments for the VHF wireless mic users who decide being in a broadcaster-occupied channel is a good idea are almost guaranteed, too.

For those who don't know, Part 74 licenses are available to users who routinely set up, operate, or coordinate ~50 channels of transmitters. That can include wireless microphone and instrument transmitters, IEM transmitters, wireless intercom systems, etc. General FAQ here: https://www.professionalwireless.com/services/fcc-part-74-licensing/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back