Wireless FCC UHF Database???

I was reading an article located on the BH Photo Video website (location: White Spaces Roundup 2009 | B&H Photo Video Audio ). About midway down the page, it has this statement:

Wireless microphone locations such as sports and entertainment venues may be registered with the database and that spectrum will be considered restricted and unavailable to other wireless services.

Exactly what database are they talking about, and could a theatre register their wireless mic's with this "Database", preventing White space devices from transmitting near our wireless mics?

Thank

Last edited:
I know of no FCC database for wireless microphones. Even if there is, it would be so incomplete that it would be nearly worthless, because licensing isn't required. Don't waste your time.

It's the FCC's Geo-locater database. It is made so that the whites-space devices have to scan the database to see if any other Tv channel or wireless microphone is operating at the frequency. If it is, the device is not allowed to operate.

So from the way I understand it, you have to register your wireless mic usage with the database. Then when the white space devices try to connect to the frequency you have "reserved", it will deny he device.

Thats what I got from it, anyway. Maybe Mike Benonis has some input into this?

I understood it that there weren't *actually* any white space devices into the consumer marketplace yet...

Like all government "initiatives", expect it to be plagued with holes, especially for the first year or three... Also expect it to be late in being developed, it probably is not yet public if development has started at all...

I'm sure that Mike and others can add more, but the geo-location database is part of the proposed White Space or TV Band Device (WSD or TVBD) plan the FCC is developing. The concept is that some wireless mic systems, the details on that are still rather fuzzy, will be able to register with a database that fixed TVBD devices (I don't believe this applies to portable devices, but could be wrong) will have to reference. The database will be used in conjunction with scanning (which I believe applies to both fixed and portable devices, but again, could be wrong). The creation and management of this database is currently being bid, so right now no one knows exactly what it will be, how people will register or what fees may be involved (the RFP I saw did seem to allow for having fees associated with registering).

Brad has it right, as usual. The database will eventually allow users to register their wireless mics, IFB, and so forth so that white space devices cannot interfere with them. That said, it remains unclear who will be allowed to register, and the FCC is being very quiet on this front. I suspect what will happen is that all wireless microphone users will be able to register, and white space devices will have to respect them, even if the FCC does not bless it explicitly.

The database will only get created if Congress makes them do it, and if the FCC gets funding for it. Legislation is being introduced, but that's a looong way from it actually exisiting. Figure on this taking several years.

Will registering with the database required or optional?

I don't know for sure, but I believe it would be optional for us.

Depending of course on how they implement it, why would you NOT want to register?

In theory it would allow you to become protected from interference, so that's gotta be a good thing, contingent of course on any fees they decide to implement...

Depending of course on how they implement it, why would you NOT want to register?

In theory it would allow you to become protected from interference, so that's gotta be a good thing, contingent of course on any fees they decide to implement...

Exactly....

I believe that there are too many holes in the database at this point to make many assumptions. I believe that what has actually been discussed for the database are certain conditions as far as the types of locations and use that can register and many, if not most, wireless mics would not meet the specific conditions noted to date. Neither would any portable mics in any application since they do not have a fixed location.

I think everybody wants a resolution for most wireless mic users it's just that apparently nobody wants to give anything up to to offer a solution. And to me that is what is really scary, if a 'place' for wireless mics is found then it would be difficult to justify any wireless mics operating outside that 'place'. So some parties could promote a solution that seems to be helping by providing a designated place for wireless mics but at the same time also effectively makes every existing wireless mic except for licensed broadcasters obsolete. I'm not saying it will happen, but there have been such proposals made to the FCC.

To clarify Chris's comment, the FCC database is only related to certain types of TVBD having to compare their location to the database and not operate on the registered frequencies. The database would not protect you from other interference, registering with the database would not be a 'claim' to a frequency and as I understand it, anybody else could register with the same frequency, even in the same building. It would only provide any protection in relation to fixed TVBD devices.

I think everybody wants a resolution for most
wireless mic users it's just that apparently nobody wants to give anything up to to offer a solution. And to me that is what is really scary, if a 'place' for wireless mics is found then it would be difficult to justify any wireless mics operating outside that 'place'. So some parties could promote a solution that seems to be helping by providing a designated place for wireless mics but at the same time also effectively makes every existing wireless mic except for licensed broadcasters obsolete. I'm not saying it will happen, but there have been such proposals made to the FCC.

Perhaps the UK approach may be the most beneficial; JFMG Radio spectrum for programme making and entertainment whereby there are 3 levels of "licence". The first is licence exempt and it's in a handful of frequency slots. Great for schools, churches etc. with only one or two mics. Next you have "UK Shared" whereby you purchase spectrum access to given channels and can use them UK wide, with risk of interference. Tier 3 is individually coordinated and licenced frequencies.

Perhaps an approach like that would work well in other countries?

Perhaps the UK approach may be the most beneficial; JFMG Radio spectrum for programme making and entertainment whereby there are 3 levels of "licence". The first is licence exempt and it's in a handful of frequency slots. Great for schools, churches etc. with only one or two mics. Next you have "UK Shared" whereby you purchase spectrum access to given channels and can use them UK wide, with risk of interference. Tier 3 is individually coordinated and licenced frequencies.

Perhaps an approach like that would work well in other countries?

I think so! It would be nice if everybody needed a license. My question though-what happens when somebody needs to change frequencies? Or can you license "spares" too?

I think so! It would be nice if everybody needed a license. My question though-what happens when somebody needs to change frequencies? Or can you license "spares" too?

I doubt they care if you use your licenced frequencies... you've paid for them. So I see no reason you couldn't licence spares...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back