FCC vs PylePro

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
$683k doesn't seem like much given how long they've been at it. Wonder if this exposes them to a class action suit by their customers that could increase their level of pain.

Wow, the total disregard for what frequencies their products work on is shocking. Messing around in the aeronautical band is dangerous. With the number of models landing on the same illegal frequencies, it appears to be a deliberate act, not merely a design flaw or manufacturing defect. I'm glad the FCC went after them.

$683k doesn't seem like much given how long they've been at it. Wonder if this exposes them to a class action suit by their customers that could increase their level of pain.

Unfortunately, Congress doesn't seem to allow the FCC charge fines proportionate to the crime. Often, the defendant's lawyer gets the fine reduced to a fraction. Pirate radio stations are a game of whack a mole, because they cannot put them in jail when the fines are not paid, and they repeat the offense over and over.

Wow, the total disregard for what frequencies their products work on is shocking. Messing around in the aeronautical band is dangerous. With the number of models landing on the same illegal frequencies, it appears to be a deliberate act, not merely a design flaw or manufacturing defect. I'm glad the FCC went after them.

What's the big deal..? It's not like wireless mics are used in heavily populated areas near airports much..... :wall:mike

I guess the good news, if you can call it that, is that their illegal microphones on the aviation band were very, very low-end and apparently very low power. It's reasonable to guess that they didn't actually cause any significant interference in practice. (That, of course, is in no way to suggest that Pyle was acting legally or ethically in this case!)

How cheap and how low power? Looking them up on Amazon shows that the PDMW96 system, a lavalier unit, costs $11.50 and has a claimed range of 20 feet outdoors (presumably under ideal conditions). The PDMW94 is $23.69 and has a claimed range of up to 90 feet, though reviews suggest that it's actual useful range may be closer to zero feet. Interestingly, Amazon also shows them still in stock and for sale; get yours while they're still available!

I guess the good news, if you can call it that, is that their illegal microphones on the aviation band were very, very low-end and apparently very low power. It's reasonable to guess that they didn't actually cause any significant interference in practice. (That, of course, is in no way to suggest that Pyle was acting legally or ethically in this case!)

How cheap and how low power? Looking them up on Amazon shows that the PDMW96 system, a lavalier unit, costs $11.50 and has a claimed range of 20 feet outdoors (presumably under ideal conditions). The PDMW94 is $23.69 and has a claimed range of up to 90 feet, though reviews suggest that it's actual useful range may be closer to zero feet. Interestingly, Amazon also shows them still in stock and for sale; get yours while they're still available!

I wonder if I could use these to talk to the pilots on the space shuttle...? mike

Yes you could, since the remaining Space Shuttle orbiters are all on display at museums.

I meant the Russian ones -- I hear they use Facebook's parking lot as their back-up landing strip....;) mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back