Feedback from Mains

I am currently mixing sound for a musical at a pretty small venue. They are using a live band so wireless microphones are being used for reinforcement. At this theater, the main speakers are mounted right at the front of the sides of the stage. However, these speakers are above platforms where actors will occasionally go out and sing on. When they go onto the platforms however, I can't get the microphones up to a normal level without hearing feedback. If I moved the speakers further away from the stage they would be into the audience, so the first row or two wouldn't have sound. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

It sucks when they won't reblock because of a tight space issue.

What mics are you using?

I am currently mixing sound for a musical at a pretty small venue. They are using a live band so wireless microphones are being used for reinforcement. At this theater, the main speakers are mounted right at the front of the sides of the stage. However, these speakers are above platforms where actors will occasionally go out and sing on. When they go onto the platforms however, I can't get the microphones up to a normal level without hearing feedback. If I moved the speakers further away from the stage they would be into the audience, so the first row or two wouldn't have sound. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

you may be able to pinpoint the specific frequencies and try to drop them out, but it isn't a audio issue, it is a director's blocking issue (someone who doesn't understand how mics work). If you have fill speakers further back, you can reduce the output of the mains and increase the fills during those scenes. Also, the first couple rows should be able to hear the actors/singers straight from the stage and may not need as much reinforcement as further back in the house, so moving them may be an options. Good luck.

There is a lot of downside to it, but in a difficult situation like this if you can get cardioids on those actors you may be able to squeeze a little more gain out. Forehead or cheek mount, downwards angle, really carefully secured cable.

Any way to tip the speakers up a little? Sacrifices something in the front rows but helps keep them out of the mics. Mount some fills on the platform edges?

I know, all of this requires resources you may not have...

Two thoughts about dealing with singers and feedback-
1) Even with the best equipment that is EQ'ed perfectly flat, feedback will always have to do with the mathematical ratio between the distance from the source (singer's mouth) to the microphone, and the distance between the speakers and the microphone. In other words, halving the mic-to-lip distance will have the same effect and doubling the distance from the mic to the speakers. (Ok, there's more to it than that, but you get the point.)
2) The level through the system is foremost set by how loud the source object is.
It is this second point that is important. Sound reinforcement can only "reinforce" the sound of the source. Your singers have to project! There is a trend since the invention of modern sound for singers not to fill a hall with their voices, which for many centuries, was the only way to be heard. I know, there are limits and you don't want to make your singers scream, but it is a topic worth bringing up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back