Feedback Prevention

sounddad

Hi all.

I've seen a lot of info regarding feedback, and I would like to share with you some of the interesting things about this.
I'ld also appreciate if you could add more stuff, from your experience regarding on how to prevent feedback.

Here is some of my findings on how to prevent feedback:
  • Place your loudspeakers ahead of your mics
  • Reverse the polarity of your loudspeaker or mic (this is really good stuff)
  • If you have monitors for the musicians, try to remove, or lower the level, of their own sound in the monitor speakers (e.g. for vocals - send instruments, for violins - send metals, and so on.) (I also like this one)
  • Lower the volume on stage, increase on the FOH

There is still something that I really don't know how to do, is using the equalizer to eliminate feedback. I understand that feedback occurs at some frequency, and the EQ can lower the volume this frequency. But I don't know how to find this frequency from the spectrum of frequencies.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all.

I've seen a lot of info regarding feedback, and I would like to share with you some of the interesting things about this.
I'ld also appreciate if you could add more stuff, from your experience regarding on how to prevent feedback.

Here is some of my findings on how to prevent feedback:
  • Place your loudspeakers ahead of your mics
  • Reverse the polarity of your loudspeaker or mic (this is really good stuff)
  • If you have monitors for the musicians, try to remove, or lower the level, of their own sound in the monitor speakers (e.g. for vocals - send instruments, for violins - send metals, and so on.) (I also like this one)
  • Lower the volume on stage, increase on the FOH

There is still something that I really don't know how to do, is using the equalizer to eliminate feedback. I understand that feedback occurs at some frequency, and the EQ can lower this frequency. But I don't know how to find this frequency from the spectrum of frequencies.
Technically, feedback is when the electroacoustic loop gain exceeds unity, in other words when a reproduced sound gets picked up by a microphone at a level greater than the original level, which then continues that loop building in level each time. Also technical, the general issue is wanting a Potential Acoustic Gain (PAG), which is how much gain the system can provide before feedback, that is greater the the Needed Acoustic Gain (NAG), which is how much gain you are trying to get from the system.

Placing the speakers in front of the microphones is really addressing a more general issue of how the patterns of the speakers and microphones relate. Speakers and microphones generally have some directionality, which can often vary at different frequencies. The goal is to use that to your advantage in order to try to get the sound from the speakers directed at the listeners rather than at the microphones and to have the microphones pick up the desired source(s) while tending to reject, or pick up at a lower level, other sources such as sound from the speakers.

Reversing the polarity of a microphone or speaker has its place but not usually in preventing feedback. The concept is that inverting the polarity of either the original signal or signal from the speaker will cause them to cancel but the reality is that since they typically originate at two different points in space they are not phase coherent and thus such simplistic cancellation does not occur. So I won't say it can't help in some cases but it is not as simple as some sources present it and it can have other implications.

There is a lot you can do with monitors to address gain before feedback including the speaker pattern, the microphone pattern, the relative location of the microphone, EQ, etc. But probably the one that often gets overlooked is that monitors are intended to give the performers what they need to perform and not to sound like it does out in the audience. Try to always think in terms of less is more and what can be taken out of a monitor mix rather than what needs to be added.

Since the original sounds, the directional characteristics of the speakers and microphones, the relative phase of the direct and indirect signals and so forth are all frequency dependent, feedback is very frequency dependent. There are different ways to determine a feedback frequency, or preferably ringing as it starts and before it turns into feedback. One is by ear training and there are plenty of resources out on the Internet to help there. The other is with an RTA, FFT analyzer, spectrograph, etc. One trick I've seen with functionalities such as the spectrograph mode in SMAART is to set the threshold high enough that you don't or rarely see anything during normal use but then see the signal as feedback starts to build and exceeds that threshold level.

Awesome post Brad.

I want to add one more note about frequency and EQ. Every room is different acousticly. Having an EQ (or better DSP) which is correctly tuned to the room will control the frequencies which are most likely to feedback before you do anything else. This is one of your best overall defenses against feedback. From there you are then free to tweak individual levels on mics as needed. If you have feedback issues invest in a good system EQ or DSP and have someone who really knows their stuff tune it for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Awesome post Brad.

I want to add one more note about frequency and EQ. Every room is different acousticly. Having an EQ (or better DSP) which is correctly tuned to the room will control the frequencies which are most likely to feedback before you do anything else. This is one of your best overall defenses against feedback. From there you are then free to tweak individual levels on mics as needed. If you have feedback issues invest in a good system EQ or DSP and have someone who really knows their stuff tune it for you.

Preferably both. Speaker processing should make the room sound good, a graphic eq should tone the room to the show of the day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Awesome post Brad.
Having an EQ (or better DSP) which is correctly tuned to the room will control the frequencies which are most likely to feedback before you do anything else. This is one of your best overall defenses against feedback. From there you are then free to tweak individual levels on mics as needed.

Could you please explain me how to correctly tune to the room? Is there any method for doing this? Does the frequency for feedback change from rehearsal (empty house) to live concerts on the same room (full house)?

Does the frequency for feedback change from rehearsal (empty house) to live concerts on the same room (full house)?
It certainly can, if the temperature and humidity change from the presence of warm bodies. Do a Google search and see what you can find out…some pieces of equipment actually compensate for these changes by actively monitoring the surrounding environment (and sometimes at multiple points).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back