Feeder cable and loads

So I am constantly dealing with tying into power in different hotels, ballrooms, even the Zoo last week.

I see that we have different gauge of feeder cable, and I was curious if anyone could tell me what each gauge of feeder is rated for, or what is the maximum load that can be placed on a line.

I know that in our shop, we have #2, 2/0, 4/0, and 6.5 Feeder. If there are any other gauges that exist, please share along with their load ratings too!

...I see that we have different gauge of feeder cable, and I was curious if anyone could tell me what each gauge of feeder is rated for, or what is the maximum load that can be placed on a line. ...
If only it were that simple! The most applicable source of the information you seek is contained in NEC Table 400.5(B). Allowable ampacity of a given wire is determined by size, material, insulation, temperature rating, duty cycle, and length of run.

Perhaps another member could comment on the status of
Draft BSR E1.18 "Standard for the Selection, Installation and use of Single Conductor Portable Power Feeder Cable Systems for Use at Less than 601 Volts Nominal for the Distribution of Electrical Engergy in the Entertainment and Live-Event Industries" which ended public review August 28, 2006.

edit:
... we have #2, 2/0, 4/0, and 6.5 Feeder. ...
IF by "6.5" do you mean "#6 AWG, 5 conductor cable", ("6/5"); Table 400.5(B) would not apply, you'd need NEC Table 520-44.

Last edited:
Length is important too. I once had a 36k show to do, but the feeder length was over 1000 feet. Even though the show was small, I ended up running 4/0 just to avoid the drop.

That was before the days of movers as well. These days, I would want to run a second feed and distro to keep the movers away from drop swings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back